Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

They were stored in a card box in dry conditions, since 2018.

Could be simply a crap product. There is no reason why flares should not have their share of junk.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Excellent video on ditching in different aircraft types, from the well known Barry Shiff

For a TB20 (low wing retractable) he recommends 8 deg up pitch.

Administrator

Remember to loosen your tie

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I disposed of the two flares, in an incinerator, and standing well back

Remember that you are supposed to hold this in your hand!

Administrator

disposed of the two flares, in an incinerator

Ah, that was you!

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Tell you what… the light is totally blinding at 10m, so if activated handheld, you will not want to be rescued because nobody will want you afterwards because you will have no eyes and one arm

Administrator

It was all over the news here. “Aurora borealis over England?”. I did a ditching course once and they let me light such a flare. Not a big deal really, just hold high and away from your body.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

It was all over the news here. “Aurora borealis over England?”. I did a ditching course once and they let me light such a flare. Not a big deal really, just hold high and away from your body.

Also my experience – we used up a lot of “out of date” flares when I was a kid – I didn’t realize how dangerous they were, but never more than a bit of a burn from the stuff falling off the flare – you quickly learned to hold it with your arm up at about 45 degrees to let the bits drop on the ground not on your arm.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Tell you what… the light is totally blinding at 10m, so if activated handheld, you will not want to be rescued because nobody will want you afterwards because you will have no eyes and one arm

You should come to Croatian football games to see what really big flares are. On several occasions fans torched good part of stands.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I used a handheld flare ~50 years ago, engine problem off the Caithness coast bringing a newly bought boat from Wick to Inverness.
When incinerated the effect is very different. No problem holding in hand.
I didn’t set it off until I saw someone looking at me.
Late afternoon, solo, radio u/s. Got towed to Lybster and the firm who’d worked on the boat at Wick fixed it for free.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message