Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Amateur radio and flying...

In my younger days I was a licensed radio amateur, working mostly digital modes (like packet radio and PSK-31) on HF and VHF.
When internet became mainstrain I lost interest in the hobby and had my license expired.

Last month I met a collegue who is an active HAM. He borrowed me a mobile VHF/UHF radio and I got my license re-actived.
I thought HAM radio would be death by now, but apparently it’s not.
There are new digital modes (like Olivia and JT65 ) intended for extremely weak signals.
Then there is an experimental broadband wireless network on the amateur bands called Hamnet operating on 5,6 GHz.

For voice there is a repeater system in NL which covers the whole country using multiple transmitters.
I always thought that multiple transmitters on the same frequency would block themselves out, but these guys stabilize the radio frequency using GPS clock up to 10 µHz.
How cool is that

Tranceivers have gotten death cheap. I just ordered a Yeasu FT-8900R which does 10m, 6m, 2m and 70cm for 345 EUR

As a returning radio amateur I am thinking about ways to combine the hobby with flying.
Are there pilots here that operate a station while airborne?
What about using amateur radio for airborne weather? There’s plenty of bandwidth available

Having done some modifications on Cessna’s for use in Africa. All of the European and FAA approvals that came with it required the new HF installation to be flight tested while operating the radio on amateur bands. As I am also a licensed radio amateur this was great fun, will get a lot of attention as well being /AM (aeronautical mobile)

Quite some people flying are also licensed radio amateurs.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

One amateur mode that appears to have a great potential for GA is APRS. It provides a low-bandwidth VHF datalink that could be used as a “poor man’s ACARS”. Has anyone tried it onboard?

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 20 Jul 20:38
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

What about using amateur radio for airborne weather? There’s plenty of bandwidth available

I asked that here

It is probably illegal in as much as the amateur radio bands are allowed only for specific classes of usage. Also, I don’t know if this is still true, but historically there were very tight controls on their use in dictatorships… for example in Czechoslovakia the stuff was 100% monitored, with “appropriate punishment”… 1968-1969 I was in a radio ham club at Pribram (LKPM), callsign OK1OFA, which amazingly still shows up on goggle though in reality is I am sure dead.

used as a “poor man’s ACARS

Isn’t there an official ACARS band on shortwave (called “HF” in aviation-speak)? I thought there was one on VHF also. Many airlines don’t pay for satellite comms but they do have ACARS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I dont see that with a HAM licence there is any reason not to operate airborne, but there would be “issues” installing the rig. Doubtless at the very least a minor mod in EASA land. Of course as we know it is possible to fit a HF radio and extend your radio licence but you are restricted to that band width. However it would presumably be an interesting installation if you wished to cover the HAM bands and would require a considerable amount of power with some heavy duty cables.

I dont see that with a HAM licence there is any reason not to operate airborne

The UK Amateur radio licence specifically forbids the use of the station in a moving aircraft. When questioned, the RA (before Ofcom) stated that it was because the CAA did not allow it however; there is nothing in the ANO to prohibit it. The installation of equipment is another issue, as is use of the aircraft radio station, leaving hand portable equipment as the safest option, but still illegal for UK licence holders. Some years ago the RAF were allowed to operate a Canberra aircraft with an amateur radio station on board.

Some years ago whilst operating into Phnom Penh in a C130 I was asked to do some tests for the RedCross who operated emergency radios on 6.999MHz and 13.999MHz just ouside the amateur bands. The tests worked fine but the interference on the aircraft intercom system was unbelievable with the characteristic Donald Duck breakthrough.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 20 Jul 21:46

Thank you i was aware of that restriction. I was relating to maritime installations and its interesting that airborne is specifically excluded.

I meant to say wasnt

Another usage for APRS are tracking platforms – for example Openglidernet. We have a receiver at our field in EDNW, to support the instructors and of course the “Flugleiter” – also it is able to create automated Flightlogs for the glider pilots.

EDNW, Germany

Yes, mobile object tracking is the most popular use of APRS, but it should also be capable of more sophisticated functions – e.g. real-time weather, or yet another gateway to Autorouter

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message