Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do we need paper documents for weather?

Do you carry a copy of that manual around when instructing? When I was instructing for an FTO, I never did. We didn’t have tablets at the time and if I had carried with me in paper form in the Cessna 152, it would have been a huge folder.

Will the inspector study all the manual on the spot then?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Aug 19:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Do you carry a copy of that manual around when instructing?

Always. On my tablet. Luckiliy it says nowhere, that the training manual must be carried in paper form.

boscomantico wrote:

Yes. What he actually does is asking you for the page where the rules are specified which he is asking about.

EDDS - Stuttgart

boscomantico wrote:

Not necessarily … In Croatia they sometimes just note everything that you had on board regarding documentation and later compare it with your ATO manual. If they find discrepancy they issue finding. depending on severity of violation you can get different penalties. Of course this applies for local ATOs.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I require students to bring paper documents, when instruction is for a license. The only reason is that the “CAA” used to require it for the test, years ago. Whether they still do, I don’t know, but now I am going to check it. Of course paper documents are readable under a wide variety of daylight conditions, but the electronically stored documents have other advantages. The main thing is that the pilot (incl student) is comfortable. But the problem is likely that many instructors / ATO’s / examiners / people in the CAA are still only comfortable with paper.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

If they insist on a particular document, then just print it and take it with you. You have it if they ask, even if you haven’t looked at it.

Then do your own weather briefing.

Everyone is happy

EIWT Weston, Ireland

huv wrote:

Of course paper documents are readable under a wide variety of daylight conditions

The original questions was mainly about weather documents. You don’t read those in the plane, you read them before the flight in the comfort of the briefing room of the GAC, make up your mind and throw them away (or bring them along so that you can show them to the ramp check guy). But if they are readable under a variety of daylight conditions is irrelevant.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

throw them away

actually, I do not throw them away, I´ll always keep. Mind not be perfectly up to date later in the flight and you might get better info from VOLMET/ATIS but still good to have it with you – your radios might die

LKKU, LKTB

Exactly – I keep wx info with me because e.g. the TAF (the wind) will give you an idea of which runway they might be operating. A satellite phone is better of course but they don’t always work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I usually keep all flight related document on my two iPads and a backup copy on my laptop at home (in the case that something goes wrong and somebody needs to check I really did weather briefing). The chances that you need the weather documents in flight and you have a double tablet failure and a radio failure all in the same flight are pretty slim and you should be very unlucky to get that.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

the TAF (the wind) will give you an idea of which runway they might be operating

Don’t you make that consideration on the ground before you take off? If you already have the TAF and know your destination, you can already think about which runway you might get (and get surprised when they change it of course). I always think about that the moment I see the TAF, so I don’t look at it in flight again.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message