4. VOR
  5. Mixture control
  6. Propeller control
  7. EGT
  8. Pilots

According to this

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Different ones are disappearing from different market sectors but only 2 3 4 are disappearing from all market sectors.

Item 6 has been removed on the Cirrus (as pictured in the article) but only as a marketing exercise, paid for by all Cirrus pilots via lower engine efficiency in cruise.

There are also some clueless comments e.g.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Half of them – good riddance!

But don’t touch my six pack. Until a G600, that’s not got 10 years old software and costs $35K, gets down to sub $10K, then I’m staying with the pots. They’re more intuitive anyway.

A PFD is just a posh 6-pack anyway, just the relative size and style has changed, but they’re all in the same places.

London area

AdamFrisch wrote:

But don’t touch my six pack. Until a G600, that’s not got 10 years old software and costs $35K, gets down to sub $10K, then I’m staying with the pots. They’re more intuitive anyway.

Everyone says that until they have them….

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Exactly. I wouldn’t do without, the Air Data Computer (TAS, wind vector) is worth it alone. Wouldn’t want to miss that.

Item 6 has been removed on the Cirrus (as pictured in the article) but only as a marketing exercise, paid for by all Cirrus pilots via lower engine efficiency in cruise.

You have any data to support that opinion, Peter? AFAIK a manual prop control (available as a retrofit) does not make the plane faster or more efficient.

It’s simple engine theory. The Cirrus always runs at a rather high RPM which (apart from much more noise) means higher friction losses. With a manual prop control, you can achieve the same power output by choosing a lower RPM but a higher MP. It’s probably not in the order of 10% but it is noticeable and in my view the noise argument is enough to want a prop control in a (turbocharged) aircraft. I can fly at 21" and 2400 RPM (like a Cirrus would roughly) or at 25" and 2100 RPM.

Never understood why they took the blue lever away. Should have eliminated the red one, that one has no place in a modern aircraft.

This is not my cup of tea really but I should think a FADEC could be made to handle the mixture as well as the prop setting?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

JasonC wrote:

Well, a single needle gives you much that a number can’t give you. You’ll find that most EFIS’s have to generate various methods of displaying a parameter to give the pilot the same information as a single steam gauge gives (such as rolling drum number + trend vector + tape, to replace a single altimeter). Further a number always requires an additional interpretation step, whereas one look at a gauge tells you instantly where the needle is in the range, plus the trend.

But it’s the future, or so they say.

67 Posts
Sign in to add your message