Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

91UL / UL91 / 96UL / UL96 / UL98 etc (merged thread)

Slight drift but does anyone know where you can get UL91 stickers from. Some guy wouldn’t fuel me the other day as the tanks weren’t labelled.

I believe Malte @mh was making some and you could get them for a nominal fee. Or just have a set printed at one of the places that do weatherproof stickers.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Not much 91UL / UL91 around Europe in general; in most countries it is zero.

The reasons are around here. Basically TOTAL tried to split the market, hoping to kill off 100LL and thus kill off a big chunk of GA – what were they smoking? If an airfield carries 91UL, it buys less 100LL and the 100LL price goes up, and with much GA being tight as the proverbial, a €0.10 delta will dry up the 100LL demand, and with the fuel profit being around €0.30+ per litre, that is a LOT of money which you cannot replace with landing fees (which are also price sensitive among most “short haul” flyers) or choc cake / greasy stodge sales.

We have the EuroGA airport database but that’s only as good as what people buy and report on. Everything else won’t be reliable, in any database, because there is no central data collection effort.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is mogas still acceptable, with 10% alcohol in regular and 5% in super from local road filling stations? There are statements it damages fuel tank sealant.
With the Bolkow Junior tank above and behind the cockpit with the battery below I’m using Avgas in the O200.
PS Which alcohol is added, and is it always the same one?
PPS I heard someone local had bought the deisel Europa and was converting to a Rotax, but he sold the project and bought a Jodel.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The alcohol in petrol is ethyl alcohol, also known as ethanol (the same alcohol that’s in booze).

It’s not compatible with some sealants and gasket materials. It’s also hygroscopic (tends to absorb water).

Andreas IOM

My POH allows up to 1% of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) for anti-fuel-freezing purposes and looking up some materials in common fuel system usage, some are not all that resistant. The common PR1422 fuel tank sealant (later banned by Brussels for being toxic; the really good stuff usually is … replaced with PR1440) seems OK but you have stuff like o-rings, and even the turbine in the Flo-Scan 201 fuel flow transducer (used by JPI and Shadin flow totalisers) is made of Rynite whose alcohol resistance is not all that great.

I have a couple of 3.5kW generators (we get lots of power cuts in the countryside)

and the fuel gauges in the tanks have been completely dissolved by 5% petrol. Literally eaten, disappeared, gone. Just a bloody great hole in the top of the fuel tank. Obviously, wrong materials used, but how old is your plane?

There is a table somewhere on long term absorption of PR1422/1440.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

later banned by Brussels for being toxic

And gasoline isn’t ? I mean toxic. Not to mention alcohol for that matter, or lead.

I wonder in 30 years from now, what will the fuel situation be like. Obviously the only sensible fuel, on the basis of fuel alone, is diesel/jet. Just to bad the same cannot be said about small, light, simple and powerful piston diesel engines.

The next most sensible fuel after diesel is ethanol. It’s also perfect for light, simple and powerful piston engines.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Anyone know how to get the AFM supplement for UL91/96 for a TB-10?

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

Anyone know how to get the AFM supplement for UL91/96 for a TB-10?

If you’re using the Standard Change CS-SC202b or CS-SC203b you write the AFMS yourself. If you’re using an STC you should get it from the STC holder.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Roskilde EKRK had UL91 until a few weeks ago. So, presently no UL91 anywhere in Denmark. Apparently not related to sales; the supplier pulled out both its 100LL and UL91 with short notice. A guess is that about half the pistons based here used to run on UL91.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message