Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

91UL / UL91 / 96UL / UL96 / UL98 etc (merged thread)

huv wrote:

the supplier pulled out both its 100LL and UL91 with short notice.

Who was that? BP?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

the supplier pulled out both its 100LL and UL91 with short notice.
Who was that? BP?

Yes. The airport (EKRK) made a short announcement mid January that BP would stop selling avgas during the next 2 weeks, and remove all its installations from the airport, and come back with more information during the next week. BP did stop selling avgas as announced, but the equipment is still there, and not one byte of information has come from either BP or the airport, not even in their usual newsletters. Also the remaining supplier, Shell, is tight lipped, although they admit to being “busy”. If you look at the airport’s website, prices for BP avgas have just been quietly removed without comment. I guess the silence could be a sign of some negotiations going on, but I hear no rumors. The fact is that avgas capacity at the airport is down to one third of normal (Shell has one unit), so until this is resolved, don’t come to Roskilde expecting to buy avgas, especially not on a sunny Saturday.

So, no UL91 in Denmark anymore.

Last Edited by huv at 22 Feb 08:07
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Has anyone tried to self-organize delivery of UL91, as in a coalition of local owners procure tanks on their own?

EHRD, Netherlands

huv wrote:

So, no UL91 in Denmark anymore.

I’m happy my club made a decision several years ago not to buy unleaded fuel from BP…

At the time we bought 100LL from BP and 91/96UL from Hjelmco. After switching to 91/96UL in all the club aircraft, 100LL consumption dropped to a trickle. BP wanted to remove the fueling station, but would keep it if we bought unleaded from them rather than from Hjelmco. Hjelmco also offered 100LL, so we had the choice of two suppliers. BP offered a suspiciously good price for UL91 that we felt wasn’t sustainable. But what finally decided in Hjelmco’s favour was how the two suppliers had behaved some years earlier when the club had temporary difficulties paying its fuel bills. BP began demanding advance payment and kept that up for several years. Hjelmco extended our credit… You don’t forget things like that.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Feb 11:22
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

dutch_flyer wrote:

Has anyone tried to self-organize delivery of UL91, as in a coalition of local owners procure tanks on their own?

Saucats in Bordeaux had an arrangement with Warter fuels for a direct delivery of avgas and UL – they had much better prices than total, unforuntately the “good” price was onyl available to locallly based planes

From here

Who needs AVGAS, really?

PLEASE, all airfields/airports, give us MOGAS!

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Who needs AVGAS, really?

We do. A lot of travelling aircraft do.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

We do. A lot of travelling aircraft do.

Yes, I know… still wish for way more Mogas availability at airfields.
I guess the use of Mogas is way more common in the non-certified rather than in the certified world. Most engines in use in GA will feed on Mogas, but most of times the rest of the fuel system is not up to it.
Still, I find more and more of my colleagues switching to Mogas, cleaner for the engine (man, you should just check my spark plugs ), cleaner for the environment. And cheaper.

Last Edited by Dan at 11 Sep 15:17
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

But… what is “mogas”? We’ve done that many times.

Some think it is car petrol with no ethanol, which is probably similar to 91UL.

In reality, soon nobody in the EU will be making car petrol with no ethanol. So it will be 5% and soon 10% ethanol, and you will never know which.

In the old days “mogas” was leaded car petrol, in the UK called “2 star”. Before that it was “5 star” which is actually similar to 100LL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What we need is a universally available and usable aircraft petrol/gasoline.

It exists and its name is G100UL. Having a single petrol type at airfields will lower overall costs.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message