Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A pilot watch (mechanical, of course)

Of course. They could make a nice fire using ATPL books. What did you think?

Biggin Hill

OIC. I thought you meant to burn the bush pilots.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy – I am wondering what a “hoary old Russian pilot” looks like? Was the pilot a man or woman?

In real hard core communism, they look quite similar

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my head: fur hat, spits into snow, says ‘with Stalin on board we never diverted’

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

… nor with the Air Force Hockey team on board …

Last Edited by Cobalt at 20 Nov 16:17
Biggin Hill

I don’t know if it’s urban myth but I think Aeroflot pilots had the fuel from a go around/missed approach deducted from their pay

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Too young maybe?

Maybe this fella?

One word of warning: avoid ceramic watches at all costs. These are fashionable these days (IWC, etc).

I happen to have an, ahem, personal experience of this…

Sent one of these to the manufacturer for a “proper service” (because various bodgers trade watchmakers were unable to fix the 3 sec per minute intermittent fault I posted about previously) and they refused to touch it unless they replaced the case, because they found little chip marks on it. You don’t want to know what they wanted for the case.

My view is that mechanical Swiss watches are mostly a huge con, supported by a demand for “dress watches” (both mens’ and womens’). Some of them look good but the insides are the same bought-in mechanics as in much cheaper watches. Typically you find an ETA 7750 in there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message