Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Discussion of language proficiency issues and licenses

eri wrote:

I got my French and German ELP Level 6 by simply writing an email to DGAC and LBA respectively. They then sent me a document which I could send to national authorities

How did you get your German LP Level 6? Were you schooled in German, is it your native language? Typically one of those two would need to apply to gain LP Level 6 just by sending an email…..

EDL*, Germany

It is neither my native language, nor was I schooled in German. You have to fill in a form stating that you have lived for 8 years in a country with German as official language (no need for proof, more like a declaration of honour)

eri
ELLX, Luxembourg

eri wrote:

You have to fill in a form stating that you have lived for 8 years in a country with German as official language

That was generous! I know several people who have lived and worked in Sweden for longer than that and no way would get LP 6 in Swedish.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

eri wrote:

I got my French and German ELP Level 6 by simply writing an email to DGAC and LBA respectively. They then sent me a document which I could send to national authorities

Which national authority? Luxembourg? With a request to add the French and German LP L6 to a Luxembourg licence? That certainly wouldn’t be accepted in Switzerland to add L6 to a Swiss licence.

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes and yes. I just rechecked on the form from LBA: you have to live for 8 years in the first 14 years of your life in a country with German as national language.

Last Edited by eri at 19 Aug 14:34
eri
ELLX, Luxembourg

…and they usually check for plausability.
Same applies to L6 English for LBA.

EDM_, Germany

eri wrote:

It is neither my native language, nor was I schooled in German. You have to fill in a form stating that you have lived for 8 years in a country with German as official language (no need for proof, more like a declaration of honour)

As others have said, for 8 years out of your first 14…. I’ve lived in Germany for 32 years, can converse freely in German but wouldn’t get an LP6 because I fail to comply with either of the rules determining native speaker…..

I was going to take a test but as I have LP6 english in my licence, what’s the point?

EDL*, Germany

Interesting how things vary from country to country.

@Steve6443, do you have the BZF? if yes, this will be sufficient. Even if it is not a German LP 6, for all practical purposes it is identical. And has a lifetime validity.

In my case, I have been living >20 years in Germany, am fluent in German – also on the radio. At the time of having the DGAC update my (French) PPL with my English LP6, I asked if they could mention German on it too. This was declined, as German is not an official ICAO language. On the other side, German licenses state “German Level 6”… go figure. So I have French and English LP6 covered by my PPL paper, German by my BZF paper. No biggie I think!

EDIT: being born and raised in Alsace, I wonder if this would qualify as “German speaking country” for the LBA :D :D :D

Last Edited by etn at 20 Aug 06:27
etn
EDQN, Germany

Only if you are over 115 years old, then you would have fulfilled the “growing up in a country where German is the official language” test.

Just speaking it isn’t enough unless the bureaucrats do, too!

I wonder about countries with multiple official languages, such as Switzerland. Can someone who grew up in Ticino and only speaks Italian fluently get German LP? (Most Swiss speak several languages, but that is not guaranteed)?

The pilot who grew up in East Belgium speaking German at home won’t, right?

Biggin Hill

etn wrote:

@Steve6443, do you have the BZF? if yes, this will be sufficient. Even if it is not a German LP 6, for all practical purposes it is identical. And has a lifetime validity.

Yes I do. But it does not equate to language proficiency in the sense of the regulations. You would still need to have a language proficiency either english or the language you are communicating in. As I have LP6 in english, all sorted….

EDL*, Germany
Sign in to add your message