Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Discussion of language proficiency issues and licenses

I grew up in Luxembourg, a country with 3 official languages (French, German, Luxembourgish) and it worked for me that way

eri
ELLX, Luxembourg

eri wrote:

I grew up in Luxembourg, a country with 3 official languages

We have 3 official languages in Norway also. None of them are eligible for any LP We only have English LP, and it’s valid and required for controlled airspace. In uncontrolled airspace there are no LP regulation AFAIK.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

etn wrote:

being born and raised in Alsace, I wonder if this would qualify as “German speaking country”

There is a fair risk both Alsace and Germany would take offence of this statement…

ESMK, Sweden

Cobalt wrote:

I wonder about countries with multiple official languages, such as Switzerland. Can someone who grew up in Ticino and only speaks Italian fluently get German LP? (Most Swiss speak several languages, but that is not guaranteed)?
No, even most Swissgermans don’t have a German LP, as this is not foreseen during flight training. Almost everybody (except French-speaking Romandie) gets their English LP, and that’s it.

Cobalt wrote:
The pilot who grew up in East Belgium speaking German at home won’t, right?
Correct, eastern Belgium has German as their official (main) language. There is however not a single official airfield located in that area, except for the UL-only field Büllingen (EBBN).
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message