Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The utility value of 170-200 TAS GA

Thanks MD, and yes Glenswinton is nominally 430 m, one-way, with 40 ft height from threshold to top. It was 380 m but I extended it after round one of Seneca v Sitka. Unfortunately further extension would require land purchase and/or dynamite, both of which would likely be vetoed by SDM.

I have to admit, I’m scared of flying SE over sea. I used to be a professional diver and I did the North Sea helicopter underwater escape training malarkey and I’ve made dozens of wheel landings on lakes and rivers so that’s the first part of ditching taken care of, but I’m still frit when I can’t see land. Maybe I need therapy. I once owned a Skylark which some brave Yankee had flown from Brazil to Spain – in fact I still have his Loran box, if anyone collects that stuff

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

No, he collected data anonymously from the owners. While (of course) the approach is not “scientific”, it is a pretty interesting report still.
All SR22s have fuel totalizers and all the ones with a glass cockpit have a (pretty precise) TAS indication.

No, it is not science, but it was well done.

The pilots behind the survey were 160 active SR22 pilots responded to the survey, all COPA members. Median PIC time in SR22 was 500 hours. Most senior pilot had 4000 SR22 hours and least senior had 25 hours

The numbers for the G2 are pretty much what I see too.

boscomantico wrote:

I am surprised by the two knots speed penalty for the TKS. I would have thought (from anecdotal evidence) more like 5-6 knots.

huv claimed a speed penalty of 10 kts on the C400 TKS but I do not know where that number came from.

Looking at a TKS panel (not retrofit) I would not think there would be a significant speed penalty. I cannot recall having seen anything in the DA42 manuals and performance tables about the effect of TKS panels.

LFPT, LFPN

2-3 knots is actually the figure I always heard in the past. It is clear though that the non-TKS SR22s are the fastest.

Aviathor,

it’s not really the panels, it’s the seals / transitions which disrupt airflow. Even if it looks very snooth at first glance, it is usually not. But yes, the speed penalty does depend on the aircraft type and even on the quality/condition of the single installation.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Dec 18:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have to admit, I’m scared of flying SE over sea.

Is it the same for you when the water is warm? I never had problems flying (any distance) over the Mediterranen in the summer, or from Florida to Haiti, or to the Bahamas … but I avoid cold water in the winter. To get to Sweden from Northern Germany I would climb high enough to be in glide range as long as possible. I do fly to Helgoland in the summer though.

10 kts for the C400 is the widely communicated figure. Quite a lot… and the TKS for the C400 is still not EASA certified.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

In reality very few people have owned the same plane before and after TKS so the business is full of anecdotal evidence, much from pilots who don’t really know how to collect accurate data.

I have heard anything from 2kt to 7kt for a TB20 which is a huge range when expressed in terms of equivalent HP.

One big VHF antenna can cost 2kt especially at higher speeds e.g. 170kt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think his database from 160 COPA pilots is a pretty good base. And actually: I have collected the data of all my flights since June 2013 and the results of that long Excel sheet match his results.

My G2 would always fly 171-172 KTAS in FL110-Fl120 (the altitude i use most), LOP with a FF of 12.5-13.5 GPH. Now, with the new prop it’s only 168-169 KTAS. If I fly lower I lose even a bit more. The 4-blade prop really slows the plane down below FL120.

Flyer, you’re right. Warm water, calm sea and good visibility would change that. Also, maybe, having six cylinders instead of four. But in the winter, I’ll happily accept an extra hour and a half flight time to get the shortest possible sea crossing.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message