Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The utility value of 170-200 TAS GA

Regarding dry leases to busy schools. Over here a guy did that with his C172N (530/430/330) and he was getting in the region of €50ph dry but he had to cover the annual inspections. The school was doing a lot of hours in it, easily 700-800hrs a year but in the end he reckoned he wasn’t making enough out of it when all things were taken in to account. I thought about it too, the only guy I know who is making money out of this model is leasing parachute aircraft to clubs around Europe.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I started a thread on leasing to schools here – a common topic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Hmm, not sure about that. Particularly in Europe someone might eventually call that game and make you overhaul as the Swis do right now if an engine is over 24 years old. Or the engine will eventually give up and then you are you are standing there with an unairworthy airplane. Those do sell for peanuts if at all, so called “Projects”. I know a Seneca II in great condition and useable avionics which is sitting on the ground for 3 years already with two run out engines because nobody wants to pay for that. Last price I saw was 25k for the airframe with the avionics. And no, the engines can no longer be run on condition as they are genuinely not airworthy.

I think the best way to keep depreciation in check is to buy an airplane which has basically reached rock bottom of it´s hull value. A Mooney/Arrow or similar with some half or 3/4 timed engines for 30-40k Euros is about there, good half time Senecas go for about 50k Euros these days. Always assuming a good prebuy inspection you can´t really go very wrong with airplanes like that because even the most shagged out trainers sell for not much less.

That is interesting. In the beginning of 2017 we will see the Part-M Light enter into force which will bring heavy alleviations for most piston powered aircraft(yes, even twins) and it is interesting to hear that some NAA’s have already now started acting like a little kid.They cannot stop it.

The things you mention here, is it after this summer’s introduction of self-declared AMP for ELA1 that is used for non-commercial activities?

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

The things you mention here, is it after this summer’s introduction of self-declared AMP for ELA1 that is used for non-commercial activities?

Probably not. The situation in switzerland is a bit more complicated. EASA regulation do not immediately take effect, they first have to be approved by the swiss-EU mixed panel (Gemischter Ausschuss – no idea what the proper term in english is). This is just a formality, but delays applicability of EASA regulations by half a year (and makes it really intransparent, as the agenda, schedule and resolution of the mixed panel is published nowhere accessible to mere mortals, apparently).

LSZK, Switzerland

The diesel discussion has been moved here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
105 Posts
Sign in to add your message