Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Peter wrote:

This has been common here in the UK, because historically most of the Middle East would “lock you up” if you arrived there with an Israeli stamp in your passport. So the passport office would, on a special request, let you have two.

I am such a person. But it isnt just Israel and the Arab states that cause hassle – just try entering the US with an Iranian or Libyan passport stamp!!
And there is more to it than the stamp, for example fly into Dallas or Houston and they “get” why you have been there – fly into Atlanta or Memphis and expect attention and delays waiting in a little office… believe me, I know from personal experience having used the “wrong” passport… !!

Regards, SD..

skydriller wrote:

I am such a person. But it isnt just Israel and the Arab states that cause hassle – just try entering the US with an Iranian or Libyan passport stamp!!

Me & wife we have 3 passports each (my wife did become British last month ), we have been both of us to Isael, Iran, SaudiArbia and USA in the last 5 years, as long as we show the right passports we were off the hook

For US, I understand it’s not just the stamp, it’s travel history: one is not eligible to waiver program if they have been to say Iran but they can be admitted with proper embassy visa and no problems (my wife had to get a B1/2 visa when we flew to US recently, but waiver program was not applicable to GA arrivals anyway, so win-win)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Dec 19:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

UK CAA webinar on exit related issues. 1hr video.

Some extracts:

Engineering:

Interesting changes re EASA Form 1!

UK Part 66 mechanics won’t be able to release non-G-regs

Imports OK. Exports UK to EU will need an Export CofA, like say N-regs

Licensing:

ICAO have confirmed no need to reissue licenses in bulk.

The last one here is important:

The NPPL and IMCR remain

Other notes:

UK has been excluded from EASA forums such as EC.
ADs adopted by EASA after 31 Dec 2020 not necessarily adopted by UK.
No change at all on the N-reg scene. (multiple questions)
Negotiations continue with EU/EASA so lots could change.
No major new alignment expected with the FAA in the short term.
“EASA aircraft” will be “Part 21 aircraft”, and the opposite also applies. (“EASA aircraft” was always very confusing).
EASA PTF will move to CAA PTF upon expiry.
CAA will generally accept EASA software approvals.
Validation of FAA [AML] STCs will be largely but not totally automatic following EASA’s validation.
No clear answer on maintaining / minor repairs on G-regs in EASA-land.
EASA Form 1 recognised for 2 more years.
No clear answer on whether a certified G-reg will be considered “EASA aircraft” by EASA.
UK National PPL / PMD will be usable on Part 21 aircraft after departure from EASA. (potentially dynamite, around 37:30).
Future of BIR under consultation. Consultation now open.
No change on LAPL medical issue.
UK LAPL holder privileges in EU land not clear yet.
UK licenses will be called “UK Part FCL” (and all sentences must start with “So”… only kidding)
G-reg / LAA PTF will need individual EU country permits for overflight. Nobody here seems to know about this?
Re PTF, current ECAC conditions to continue to apply.
No change to EGNOS access – presently no access assumed. (Reception of satellites remains, surely?? )
BASA with the EU is work in progress and doing OK but everything is being lumped together by the EU i.e. progress on fishing = possible BASA
No change to UK regs (ANO etc) through 31 Dec.
UK LAPL + UK LAPL medical currently UK airspace only; progress abroad is under negotiation.
No change to a certified G-reg (becomes “Part 21”).
EASA TC/STC acceptance by CAA currently under negotiation.
UK PPL QB owned by UK and remains so. UK ATPL QB is owned by the EU and the status is currently unclear.
CAA would very much like to do simple validations of Canadian (and other?) licenses; work in progress.
600kg UL situation continues.
Non-UK LAPL holders (in non UK reg aircraft) can overfly UK. (53:10 – this is much better than what the EU is doing to UK LAPL holders!!)
UK issued BIR (in a G-reg) privileges outside the UK are unclear.
“Part 21 Light” alleviations are planned.
A UK to EASA license creation/transfer (if you want to retain UK license as well) after 31 Dec 2020 is likely to require sitting of PPL exams! (57:10+). Can’t hold both concurrently until 31 Dec 2020.

The speakers sound competent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

CAA would very much like to do simple validations of Canadian (and other?) licenses; work in progress.

I wish we’d adopt the Canadian system lock stock and barrel.

Should an organisation wish to continue offering courses to EU clients they will be required to
seek Third Country ATO approval from the Agency under direct oversight.

Or become satellites of EASA ATOs, eg Naples Air Center in Florida is under UK CAA oversight because the parent ATO is located in the UK.

There are no plans to change the EASA regulations relating to ATOs and DTOs. All
requirements will remain under the UK Aircrew Regulation.

That is not entirely true. Until IP completion day the European regulations allow a DTO to be established in the British overseas territories.

As a signatory state to the Chicago Convention, both UK national and Part-FCL pilot
licences will continue to be legally valid for the operation of UK-registered aircraft outside of
UK Airspace and territorial waters.

A further amendment to the UK ANO will be needed in order to fly a UK Part-21 or excepted aircraft using a UK non–Part-FCL licence.

It is the CAA’s intent – subject to DFT agreement – to remove the EU restriction
which prevents National Licence holders from flying Part 21 (EASA) Aeroplane Types within the
SEP and TMG Class Ratings.

I hope this is done as well for aircraft registered elsewhere than in the UK and used in non-commercial operations in the UK by a resident operator. The amendment of the UK ANO, coming into force on IP completion day (2300z 31 Dec 2020), makes no distinction between foreign Part-21 and non–Part-21 aircraft.

London, United Kingdom

" wish we’d adopt the Canadian system lock stock and barrel."

Why do you say that? I’m not familiar with the Canadian system.

The UK should surely do something to benefit from leaving EASA. The Canadian system is much closer to FAA practice, but it seems to me adopting a system from within the Commonwealth would beneficially save face versus simply adopting FAA regs. It would also make treaty negotiation with FAA a lot simpler, given that most of work is already in place between US and Canada. It’s really an intriguing idea.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Dec 16:58

Peter wrote:

UK has been excluded from EASA forums such as EC.

Could we avoid tabloid language: The UK having left EASA is not invited to attend EASA internal meeting.

Last Edited by Xtophe at 06 Dec 20:48
Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Perhaps one could listen to the CAA video (I know, not many want to spend an hour of their life actually doing what I did, especially if it is for the benefit of EuroGA) and summarise it better?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

The last, and only time my passport got stamped was while travelling to Israel, and I believe that automatically excludes me from travelling to Arab countries with that same passport (Germany issues second passports for people with this particular problem)

At least in recent years “Arab countries” had no problem with Israeli stamps in it (got my last Saudi visa in the very same passport where the Israeli stamp was in). And Israel at least had no problem with a Quatar stamp – did not try with a Saudi one…

These days people who travel a lot internationally have 2 (or more) passports just for very practical reasons: When it takes up to 2 weeks for the Indian embassy to process your India visum application and your passport has to be there to do so, you would be in “lockdown” (i.e. you can’t travel outside Schengen) for these 2 weeks if you don’t have another passport.
And, well, if you realize while checking in at a Chinese airport for a flight to SFO that your valid US ESTA is on the other passport, you are quite happy that these days you can apply for an ESTA online and it is typically processed in realtime …

dublinpilot wrote:

Why do you see a difference for EU and Switzerland in the future?

EU and Switzerland have a comprehensive set of cooperation contracts (“Bilateral Agreements”). These include e.g. free movement of persons and right of domicile.
At least today it is the position of the UK government, that such rights are red tape. Than could, however, obviously change in the future

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 10 Dec 07:14
Germany

Apparently, Switzerland has +130 specific deals with the EU but they don’t have an issue with ECJ, freedom of mouvement (EOM), aligning customs duties and no fake borders…it’s mainly agriculture, taxation, finance and VAT where they diverge

The UK & NI is way differnt, no ECJ, no FOM, no CU and Northern Ireland border is so entangled and it will be tough to sort out in any plausible scenario, even “Canada solution” or “let it be hard brexit” is not a solution to NI…

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Dec 09:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message