Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Well, the airlines saw it coming and – largely – moved out and/or are EU owned anyway (BA/IAG). The remaining UK ones seem to fall by the wayside in pretty rapid succession right now. So – no problem at all for the CAA – there won’t be much to do.

PS: very glad I did my SOLI change in time

Skylane-pilot wrote:

If UK leaves EASA, what effect will that have on the non ICAO compliant licenses like the LAPL and BIR? Can/will these licenses be recognized in UK airspace after leaving EASA?

Who knows? That’s up to the UK!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jacko wrote:

Meanwhile the poor old Brits will keep piling up the charred corpses of pilots who landed on a private grass strip without a Flugleiter or who failed to notify the local mayor.

You do understand that these things have nothing to do with the EU and that no one has tried to impose anything like it on the UK – or the other EU countries who don’t have those senseless rules?

gallois wrote:

@Peter asks where the CAA are going to find the expertise. The answer appears to be from the 8 million people that Priti Patel reckons are sitting around doing nothing.

According to Shapps that expertise will come from the Britons currently working for EASA.

Well, there are certainly quite a few of them. He must be banking on them coming back to live in the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

PS: very glad I did my SOLI change in time

There’s still enough time for UK Part-FCL licence holders to move their licences to other member states.

London, United Kingdom

There’s still enough time for UK Part-FCL licence holders to move their licences to other member states.

I wish good luck. It took me approx. four months from sending the application forms to the Swiss CAA until having my UK (EASA-)licence exchanged into my new licence. My gut feeling is the queue now is not shorter…. If not already in the process of transferring the licence (if desired), I would hurry up a bit…

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland
ESME, ESMS

You do understand that these things have nothing to do with the EU and that no one has tried to impose anything like it on the UK – or the other EU countries who don’t have those senseless rules?

Yes of course, and the UK is by no means devoid of equally senseless neo-totalitarian control-freakery. But when each of 30-odd CAAs proudly contributes its own pet rules to EASA’s stinking snake-pit of regulation, pretty soon the result is toxic. Case in point: many EU member states managed very well for decades without EASA’s ridiculous aerobatic and glider-towing ratings. The former has produced zero safety benefit. The only result of the latter is that gliding clubs have scrapped their tough, trusty, crash-worthy Pawnees and bought turbocharged EuroFoxes…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

“So, the powers will revert to the CAA, who are probably one of the world’s leading regulators and the expertise will need to come home to do that, but we’ll do it in a gradual way,” Shapps said.

I’m not sure that @peter shares this opinion

The CAA eventually will assume responsibility for new aircraft type certificates and airworthiness approvals. Shapps suggested urban air mobility (UAM) vehicles will be among the first examples, saying he had met with UAM developer Joby Aviation during his trip.

This is so funny; the guy is obviously clueless in aviation. In most optimistic plans Joby Aviation will have some buliting facility in 6 years. By that time I hope UK will get rid of this clown.

Last Edited by Emir at 07 Mar 20:40
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message