Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Out of practice

What would you least like to do in an aircraft if out of practice and why?

The following things come to mind,

A night landing,
Flying from right seat,
A pfl,
An instrument approach,
Aerobatics

That probably depends very much on your total experience. E.g. I find a night landing pretty challenging because I only have less than 20 of those, so when out of practice I wouldn’t be willing to make one. For aerobatics I would go make a flight with a FI to freshen up, it would cost me a hundred bucks but I would feel better.

For me an instrument approach is the easiest to solve – make one (or more) in VMC, forcing yourself to fly on instruments and not look outside except if things start going south.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Experience any kind of severe malfunction or emergency. Why? Because these situations are difficult enough to handle when one is in current practice…

Right now, I am very much out of practice (and valid charts) in flying VFR cross country, so this is something I would not feel comfortable doing.

EDDS - Stuttgart

an instrument approach is the easiest to solve – make one (or more) in VMC, forcing yourself to fly on instruments and not look outside except if things start going south.

But please don’t do that alone…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Fly somewhere in crap weather…

It’s OK if the automation works, but if too much goes wrong you might have a problem.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suppose just to clarrify the question a bit, which of these things (and any others that come to mind) would you find more or less comfortable to do, if you knew you were a bit out of practice – and why?

I am sure you know the sort of thing – for example if I hadnt done a night landing for a while it wouldnt concern me that much.

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message