Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elimination of unnecessary‘red-tape’ and ‘regulation’ affecting General Aviation.

DublinPilot's "Did you receive any guidance on what areas are within their remit and which isn't?"

Sorry no guidance at all, just copied and pasted it from the email I received.

Hopefully everyone who has posted their comments here sends them on to the GAAC. Must say I'd never heard of the before either

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Permit aircraft in IMC and at night

I read that as "allow aircraft with a permit-to-fly to fly at night and also in IMC" rather than "allow aircraft to fly at night in IMC".

Fairoaks, United Kingdom

Sorry, that was unclear. Excessive brevity came of holding a sleepy baby in one hand and typing with the other.

Yes, I read "Permit" (capital P) as "Permit to Fly" also, but it is local terminology.

There are various things that could be usefully done with PtF aircraft regulations, although much has been done in recent years. Routes to authorise flight at night and in IMC would be a good thing, although clearly many such aircraft can't be used in that way.

Routes to permit genuine part owners of PtF aeroplanes to be trained in them would be highly beneficial to the community.

A step back from the increasing regulation of flight training and requirements for approved organistions - in simplistic terms, allow instructors to freelance so long as they meet sensible safety standards.

I shall have a think and may add something more later.

Incidentally that's a very strange address they've used there. 4 Hamilton Place is the HQ building of the Royal Aeronautical Society, but in the 25ish years I've been a member of the RAeS, I've never before seen it referred to as "RAeS House".

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

My pet peeve is that if someone has missed their 90 day currency, that we let them go off and fly by themselves (no passengers allowed) but won't let them go fly with another current on type pilot who might be able to help them (or take over if necessary) if they get a bit behind the aircraft.

Perhaps a good example of why this is not a good idea occurred at EGBW in December, owner of school, not an instructor, gets airborne with pilot for "checkout" crashes and takes out PAPIs with major damage to aircraft!

A passenger who is a pilot has no legal right to take over control, to say nothing of the judgement required. That's what instructors are for.

A passenger who is a pilot has no legal right to take over control, to say nothing of the judgement required. That's what instructors are for.

I know "non-instructors" who have thousands of hours of instruction experience in many kinds of aircraft. One friend in that position has taught in everything from Grumman AA1s, to T-28s, to F4 Phantoms, to MD-80s. He's a little more competent than your average 200 hr instructor.

I dont fly at night, and in a SEP I would not risk intentional IMC at night anyhow, it would be outside of my comfort zone

Why? The plane doesn't know it is night.

EGTK Oxford

Why? The plane doesn't know it is night.

According to Richard Collins, IFR at night is about the most dangerous thing a GA pilot can do. I like flying at night. I find it very peaceful but statistically I'm at a much higher risk when doing so. At least that's what I've been told.

Why? The plane doesn't know it is night. < Indeed so statistacally your engine failure is the same day or at night ...but....

If those fantastic night vision goggles or (FLIR) would become cheaper I would consider it..Flying over large areas with lower ceiling then 600Ft would not do it neither...Got this wisdom from an ex fighter jockey....When the engine stops turning at night your survivability chances are seriously reduced... When the ceiling is 600Ft you have seconds to decide where to plant the aircraft..

EBST

He's a little more competent than your average 200 hr instructor.

That may be the case but it doesn't make it any more legal, so if he wants to exercise his superior competence he should become an instructor or shut up!

Sign in to add your message