Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your pet hate in flying?

Paying the bills

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Airport politics, preventing me doing own maintenance.

This causes massive hassle and costs people thousands.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aviation is mired in a century of government controlled baloney, true…. The faster we move away from steam gauges, VOR/DMEs, and on to NextGen (GNSS) the safer and better. And the faster we get weather on board each aircraft and away from the archaic text strings, oral weather briefings that end up being obsolete the second they end the better. Finally the faster all aircraft get safety systems like BRS and collision avoidance on board and even fly-by-wire takeoff to landing systems the better.

Pilot load is a crucial element of safe flying…given modern computing tech it is ludicrous to have to deal with manual systems, analog anything, and non-audio/graphical human interfaces. There will also come a day when all the frequency changing will be history – we should be able to simply speak and based on location in the sky or on the ground frequency changes happen automatically.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 18 Jan 16:33

People who want to automate absolutely everything so they can stare longingly at a 13 inch screen.

Seriously, my pet hate is pilots who don’t look out of the window. I suppose my personal philosophy is about enjoying the journey more than anticipating the destination.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 18 Jan 16:45
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

The drive to the airport !

On a different note: Airborne_Again wrote:

On the contrary. I can read an understand a coded TAF or METAR much quicker than a deciphered one.

Agree. I find the coded wx info much quicker and easier to read and absorb than the full-text version. Then again, I’ve always (even as a kid) been very interested in wx and am to this day, flying or not.

Attention-seeking twits who dial 999 to report a “crash” when they see a Maule landing off-airport. It’s deeply unflattering.

Last week I heard that some interfering prat even called in a friend’s three-pointer at his own airfield which has been in existence for years. Scotland’s finest rubbed in the insult by scrambling three squad cars to the “crash” site over a period of two hours. Maule pilots are such sensitive souls, and my friend being a sort of semi-colonial, it’s a wonder he didn’t blub…

Seriously though, we need to train people to mind their own business, to stick their smartphones in their back… ah pockets and, if they must, to wander over to the pilot and ask if he wants a cup of tea.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The Super Cub (read most farm strip tailwheel aircraft) approaches the condition of Occam’s razor, and is definitely a pet hate free flying zone. I have even got used to extracting it from the Rubik’s cube of Hangar one at Andrewsfield, and regards this as part of the enjoyment. Four years in I also like the predictability on maintenance. Utility expectations? If the MSN weather symbol is sunny it works very nicely.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Part M

AdamFrisch wrote:

Why on earth do we still have to suffer through those reports

I agree, lot of stuff way more difficult than necessary.

Might be because most of this stuff was developed/is prepared for commercial ops in the first place, and when getting inflight reports via Satcom/Datalink it is cheaper because less data?!?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Mandatory handling and the excessive fees that go with it.
Here in Asia it is slowly squeezing us out of the bigger airports, and restricting where we can go…

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD
Sign in to add your message