Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GermanWings - would an FAA Medical have prevented it, etc

Isn’t there clear evidence of the autopilot altitude preset being turned down to near zero, and also on a previous flight briefly, while the LHS was out of the cockpit? And if it was all an accident, why didn’t the RHS open the door when the LHS was banging on it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Isn’t there clear evidence of the autopilot altitude preset being turned down to near zero

Yes, I think so. If you select a new altitude, the system in the Airbus automatically calculates the distance that this altitude is reached and draws a circle.
Possibly it was checked whether a continuous descent with engines at idle would bring the plane to the IAF. Maybe a commercial pilot on this forum can give more details on this.

Berlin, Germany

The IAF would however not be at 100ft

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The IAF would however not be at 100ft

Unless he wanted to go to Amsterdam (minus something feet below MSL). No, it is really useless to discuss this any further. Shortly after the crash the authorities investigated the browser history on his personal computer the night before. It was all about methods of committing suicide. If there is any aviation accident of the last ten years or so whose causes can be determined “without reasonable doubt” then it is this one.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Mooney_Driver wrote:

- As for cockpit actions, nobody has yet convinced me that it was a suicide plot. Nobody has convinced me either that the target they tracked was the 777. I think the airplane did one turn to the south and that was it.

- As for Germanwings, don’t take too much for granted there either. But that is yet another case.

Hmmm… what’s that supposed to mean? Based on the evidence, nobody is taking anything for granted with regards Germanwings, the conclusion of the report is based on fact. If you line up all the known facts then they all support one conclusion.

Yes, I’ve heard the conspiracy theory about the defective keypad not allowing entry into the cockpit but come on, why would the sole PIC turn the altitude on the autopilot to 100 feet and then suddenly fall unconscious? There was no decompression or similar. That is the theory of a father being led on by a so called aviation expert; a father who wants to believe someone else is responsible for his son’s death and does not want to face the painful truth, that the son believed his flying days were over, he was in debt due to the costs of getting his ATPL and committed suicide, killing scores of innocent people at the same time.

To say it was a defect in the plane would have meant that 4 or 5 extremely unlikely coincidences would have had to happen at the same time:

1) Captain leaves the cockpit to go to the toilet whilst
2) the door has a faulty keypad leaving a pilot suffering from depression alone in the cockpit.
3) Said pilot should not be flying – he has been signed off sick but without notice, he becomes unconscious without any decompression.
4) Meanwhile the autopilot suddenly reprograms itself to 100 feet or the first officer decides to play with it before he becomes unconscious.
5) even though the first officer is apparently unconscious, the plane continuously adjusts itself at the right time in order to maintain the maximum descent rate without exceeding airframe limits.

Now, based on all that information, could those coincidences combine at the same time, i.e. the depressed first officer becomes unconscious whilst the plane suddenly develops so many defects that those actions happen, in that order?

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 02 Jul 21:52
EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Based on the evidence, nobody is taking anything for granted with regards Germanwings, the conclusion of the report is based on fact.

The report into this accident as far as I am concerned is not worth the paper it’s written on. But that is a different story altogether. French reports involving anything either french made or operated very often have one aim only and that is to blame someone else for their own failings.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

French reports involving anything either french made or operated very often have one aim only and that is to blame someone else for their own failings.

What could possiby be a French failing in the Germanwings case?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Having the alps there maybe!

Announcing the reason for the crash before the flight recorders were discovered? All the other stuff pales by comparison.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

?

You tell me! There is not much point in answering a question with another question.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message