Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importance of maintaining the right order... (drinking and flying)

Photos below show how important it is to set priorities and do things in the right order:

Before departure at EHGG:

After landing:

Same thing happened to me at the same place in the same type of airplane! Only difference is that they tested my passenger first! Go figure.

EHGG is the only place in the world where I have ever been subjected to an breathalyser test.

LFPT, LFPN

They’ve done it once at Son Bonet some time ago. At 10:00 AM..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

My friend had the same treatment last year at Biarritz at 11am…plus the rest of the usual Biarritz welcome!

I have had it at Lelystad and Texel

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Are there countries in Europe where alcohol is regularly consumed by pilots flying?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I can share an anecdote of a group of old pilots, who met every Sunday on a French airfield they flew in to to have lunch. A friend of mine was there on an occasion where the weather was bad, so one of the pilots had come by car. When it came to ordering the drinks, he said: “Oh I can’t have wine today, because I am here by car”. That was a few years ago and these pilots are now probably at an age where they don’t fly anymore, so there’s no need to send in the gendarmes.

Peter wrote:

Are there countries in Europe where alcohol is regularly consumed by pilots flying?

In The Netherlands it’s a taboo to drink alcohol before flying. I’ve never seen it among private pilots.

aart wrote:

They’ve done it once at Son Bonet some time ago. At 10:00 AM..

The legal alcohol limit is just 0.2 promille so there is a serious risk that you’re above that limit after a heavy night ;-)

I still regularly see people ordering wine for lunch at these French lunch restaurants at French aerodromes, then getting up to pay the bill, walk to their aircraft and fly away.

EDLE, Netherlands

Sure. Totally common in Italy as well.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message