Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Controller patience with clearly incompetent pilot...

Ultranomad wrote:

If I remember correctly, “over” is standard for HF but not VHF.

It is still used in the US, but only when communicating with Flight Service (callsign ‘radio’), both parties use it. Don’t really know why, perhaps because these chaps work multiple frequencies at once?

Peter wrote:

OK… it looks like the pilot didn’t have the charts, or did not study them. That’s not good.

That is a complicated departure which must be studied carefully

I don’t think it’s THAT complicated – iff you have the chart! (And ForeFlight – which is what most people who fly with an iPad in the US have has all the IFR stuff like this, so you don’t even need it on paper). I used to fly things like that reasonably often when I was living in Houston. Of course I got my FAA IR there so we did talk quite a bit about these sorts of departures in my training. I would usually plan on getting a departure like this and have the relevant page open in the book already.

I have a suspicion that he tended to fly IFR in less congested airspace and perhaps wasn’t writing down his clearance but trying to remember it all (which probably worked back home) and was just caught out by having to fly a departure procedure, and trying to put it into his panel mounted GPS and not familiar with how to do it which was further adding to his workload.

Also a 5 hr+ flight in a Mooney would seem to be pushing fuel, but of course he may have extended range fuel tanks.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I don’t think it’s THAT complicated

The departure wasn’t complicated, but the clearance was. It’s almost like the non-radar departure clearances I had to practise for my IFR R/T certificate in 1987!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not sure what to think of this. At times I was doubting the authenticity of this whole thing.

That clearance is pretty typical of what you will get in the US unless you were able to predict exactly what they would want you to fly and filed that. I could do that in and out of the Oakland airport when I lived in California because I knew the traffic flows. But in the beginning I could get a clearance where the only things in common with my filed FPL were the departure and destination airports.

So you just cannot get by without writing down your clearance with headings, altitudes, expect within x minutes, waypoints, airways etc and then if you are lucky, “then flight planned route”. Sounds like he may have gotten a total brain fart.

LFPT, LFPN

Mooney, 0JP are you able to make a 180 degree turn back to the hangar behind you?

EGBP, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

That clearance is pretty typical of what you will get in the US unless you were able to predict exactly what they would want you to fly and filed that. I could do that in and out of the Oakland airport when I lived in California because I knew the traffic flows. But in the beginning I could get a clearance where the only things in common with my filed FPL were the departure and destination airports.

Of course any IFR pilot should be able to accept that clearance, but it still seems more complicated than it has to be. On thing is of course the “expect” part which, AFAIU is there for COM failure purposes. In Europe, there is a standard procedure of climbing to the filed level after 7 minutes in that case. Omitting the “expect” part, it would have sufficed with “cleared to the 7FL6 airport via Quitman, 3000’. Maintain runway heading.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Whiskey_Bravo wrote:

Mooney, 0JP are you able to make a 180 degree turn back to the hangar behind you?

“Negative, I do not have the hangar in my GPS, can you provide the coordinates ? 0JP Over”

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

… In Europe …

… he would, after almost 10 minutes of this kind of bungling, (hopefully) be told “xyz hold position” while the ATC guy sends some official to the plane to check the pilot’s licenses, flight preparation and charts. And holds him on the ground until he has everything he needs for his flight.

EDDS - Stuttgart

yeah it seems a bit complicated as clearance but writing it down should be enough to get it right.

Other possibility, if he was expecting another departure, is to request it…
If not granted “call you back” and study the SID again to find the proper departure before calling back.

that’s what I would do…

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message