Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lithium fire - what would you do?

It happens that lithium batteries overheat and can catch fire or explode, but ive had dozens of laptops, tablets, mobile phones etc.

Many people in my family and social circle have or have had, similar exposure.
I can’t recal ever hearing of a fire across that entire platform, maybe 1000 devices?
I avoid charging in-flight almost all of the time and stick to high-end brands.
I’m happy with my risk assessment.

United Kingdom

Oh……and I have a Cessna. Below 140kts I have a convenient window right there!

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

It happens that lithium batteries overheat and can catch fire or explode

Imagine this szenario on board of your Cessna. I don’t want to experience that in my Cessna:

I mean we should avoid all risks when possible. I don’t understand that new handheld radios are equipped with LIPO batteries.

[ huge google URL replaced with the actual thing ]

Berlin, Germany

The jury is still out on this one, but last year there was an emergency landing at Basle by a Piper Arrow on a post maintenance flight which caught fire in flight. They landed ok, still one person died and two were severely injured. The cause of the fire was said to be electric, so it was either the airplane battery itself which caught fire or a device in the baggage compartment. The damage was quite extemsive I am told, the colour of the cabin roof was massively darkened (just from the outside). Heaven knows what it was inside.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Worth a mention that I try to make sure all lithium battery devices are within reach of somebody, and I have a LIPO fire bag within reach too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

" avoid charging in-flight almost all of the time and stick to high-end brands."
I’ve just received a USB port, mentioned on this forum. I’m fitting into enable my phone to run EasyVFR on longer flights.
Previously I used a storage device, which would have a lot of energy to dissipate if it malfunctioned.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Each pilot makes his own decisions.
Each pilot makes his own risk assessments.

I don’t fly an exceptionally strong almost indestructible airframe, I don’t fly over benign flatlands, I don’t fly a twin for safety or a Cub that can get into 100m in a situation.
The Ipad on my Yoke or the phone in my pocket aren’t high on my risk list.
I’m more concerned about an inflight engine fire, or landing out in a poor location with 300litres of fuel waiting to find a hot engine
I’ve abused literally dozens of lipos in model aircraft, model Heli’s and kit built drones. I’ve dropped, crashed, over discharged and fast discharged many times.

I’m not swayed.

United Kingdom

Worth a mention that I try to make sure all lithium battery devices are within reach of somebody, and I have a LIPO fire bag within reach too.

Do you think you could pick up the burning battery and put it into the bag? Especially so given that it would take a few seconds to realise what was happening and a few more to get the bag and open it.

I know that accepting whatever burns or life changing injury to your hand you may suffer, is the right decision to make but every instinct in your body will tell you to let go as soon as you touch it.

I wonder if an oven glove (non flammable) might be better? It might allow you to pick it up and throw it out via the door.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Finally !!

A reason to buy those flashy white leather gloves…!!

AIUI what you normally get is some smoke and smell, so there should be a bit of time to throw the offending item of IT gear out, before a full fire breaks out.

The scenario where you get a huge fire instantly is not common among lithium battery failures, unless shock/perforation took place.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message