Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Logbook backups

I use safeweb which copes well with different jurisdictions. I have entered my old logbook's totals then update from there. I like the fact that I can access it from anywhere, export print etc. I still have a hard copy but only for endorsements etc. I no longer maintain a written logbook.

EGTK Oxford

OTOH the UK CAA license signatures are not recorded elsewhere either. The IR renewal is, I believe, but the PPL or IMCR are not.

I don't know if the UK is special once again in this respect, but elsewhere, for every signature you put on a license, there is a form to fill that gets submitted to the competent aviation authority. So in case someone loses his license they know what to write on the new one.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I'm considering to give up on my paper aircraft and personal loogbook altogether. Electronic records are much easier to make copies of and store safely in several places. And with PDF there is a file format that people should be able to read in 100 years from now.

In the US, it is quite common for BFR instructors to "sign" with their fingers on an iPad. Most loogbook applications support that feature.

Nothing requires me to have paper copies. The electronic version can do a lot of interesting things such as statistics, alerts, etc. It's quite tedious having to write down the same thing twice (aircraft + personal loogbook) and then once again for the electronic version.

I like the flexibility. It can calculate currency, hours by type, report hours per month. I also seem to be more diligent in maintaining it.

EGTK Oxford

UK ANO:

Personal flying log 79 (1) Every member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom and every person who engages in flying for the purpose of qualifying for the grant or renewal of a flight crew licence under this Order or a flight crew licence issued by the CAA under Part-FCL must keep a personal flying log in which the following information must be recorded: (3) The information recorded in accordance with paragraph (2) must include: (e) information about any test or examination undertaken by the holder of the log whilst in flight.

This is normally entered and signed by the Examiner

That doesn't seem to prevent an electronic logbook...

EGTK Oxford

This is normally entered and signed by the Examiner

Normaly? Maybe. But the ANO does not require a signature in the logbook. I go to the UK once per year for my simualtor refresher and licence proficiency check (or typerating renewal, whatever you want to call it). We get examined by UK CAA JAR examiners. None of these ever asked me for my logbook to sign anything there. Which would not even be possible, as I do not bother to carry my logbook with me on those trips...

I know quite a few professional pilots who only fly for one employer and who do not have personal logbooks at all. The employer records their flying hours electronically and that is enough to satisfy everybody, authorities included.

EDDS - Stuttgart
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message