Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What percentage of planes "for sale" are not really for sale, and vice versa?

Peter wrote:

And there will be a % which are not really for sale and who are there just to see what sort of interest they can get (a good comparion then really )

There is also the group that’s not interested in strangers. Exceptional specimen obviously has a chance, but that’s true on a street as well. The rest is just a pest.

There is quite a few married owners who get pressured to finally give up flying and sell the damn plane but prove fitfully unable to do so… “But honey, look, it’s on planechek, but with the current market nobody wants to buy!!!” So, very reluctanltly, they have to continue flying it. I know at least two cases where the ads disappeared the same day they separated from their unwilling spouses.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I don’t even reply to enquiries from certain countries, such as Ireland

You’d want to watch the Irish alright. Cheeky buggers.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The delusions continue.

C175

Yes – amazing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Plenty of Alaska mod Super Cubs of 1950/60’s vintage sold for $100k+

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Plenty of Alaska mod Super Cubs of 1950/60’s vintage sold for $100k+

What I have found is the Legacy acft that have been done-up to absolutely “like new” perfect condition, command a significant amount over the run-of -the-mill dogs.

Basically, the buyers are looking for a particular type, typically no longer built, and they are buying a “New” plane at what is probably less than 50% of what it would cost if it was indeed still in production .

The Cessna 175 is a good example and as the advert points out, a “new” 172 is X 3 dearer.

As to the OP and “stale” adverts, it depends on the media.

IMO: Planecheck very high % of “not seriously FS” but Trade-A-Plane is prob 90 legit & serious, Controller somewhere in between.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

That’s got to be the nicest C175 in the world… And with a new O-360 it’s really no longer a 175, it’s an upgraded fastback 172. I don’t think they’ll get the asking price, but something on the order of $100K wouldn’t surprise me. It’s a nicer flying aircraft than a new one, with none of the disadvantages of an old one. Value would depend on what it looks like when you really dig into it, i.e. was it a real ground up restoration with every single part restored, repainted etc or just a very nice refurbishment.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Sep 07:08

Michael wrote:

: Planecheck very high % of “not seriously FS” but Trade-A-Plane is prob 90 legit & serious, Controller somewhere in between.

Interesting how TaP is pretty much only US and PC is mostly EU…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

It has been said that dealers don’t want to price realistically because it would bring down the whole market and customers would then want 30% off that.

But also a lot of people seem to put their planes for sale because

they are getting divorced (you get a much better deal if you look like you are generally heading for the gutter)
they are trying to get a bank loan for their business (the bank wants to see a significant financial sacrifice by the borrower)
but they want the sale to never happen, so you get e.g. a basic 2002 TB20GT for £200k+VAT

I think most have no “hidden agendas" . To be fair to the sellers – it can be difficult to set the “correct asking price” (assuming thats a price very close to the actual sales price) as there isn’t a lot of other comparable aircraft to set the benchmark. Its a illiquid market. Regular wisdom would then suggest that as a seller you would rather start a bit higher than underprice, because you don’t run the risk on selling to cheap. You can always slice the price if market shows no interest, but not really undo a sale that went to cheap. Especially if you are not in a hurry (haven’t already bought another aircraft, need the money ect).

THY
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message