Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New AVGAS refinery

I got this quote for 205 litre drums delivered to my door in the Isle of Man, astonishing! Has anyone on this board bought any yet, I'm about to. Here is the quote:

We are pleased to be able to offer you both AVGAS 100LL and UL91 in 194 litres (140kg) sealed drums for collection from Wickenby, or delivered direct to your airstrip. Orders must be for a multiple of 4 drums packed on a pallet for ease of transport. The fuel is sourced directly from the refinery in Poland where they have been producing aviation fuels for over 42 years, and is guaranteed by the refinery for 24 months for your peace of mind.

We are pleased to be able to offer you a price of just £1.50 per litre + VAT (or £1.80 per litre including VAT) for collection at Wickenby Airfield, Lincolnshire for both AVGAS 100LL and UL91. This quote is only valid for a period of one week and subject to confirmation at the time of order.

If you would prefer your order to be delivered; the current rate for your area is: £0.08 plus VAT per litre.

Please note that this price quoted is the cost for 1 – 3 pallets (up to 12 drums), and this price may decrease depending on the number of drums ordered.

You can place an order by either calling the WARTER aviation office on 01673 885083 or 07582 049295, or by sending me an e-mail via [email protected]. The online ordering system will be available shortly via www.warteraviation.co.uk.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

I received a quote, but its the 'Drawback' that is stopping me ( In the UK we can claim back the tax on exported fuel, but require proof of purchase, since last entry to UK).

Norman
United Kingdom

Many airfields here have it, it's 100LL which is very well defined. Poland is not a banana republic so I'd not be concerned at all. Fuel is fuel in our part of the world so the only thing that matters is the price. Some people think that their car runs better with fuel from e.g. BP than Shell but these people are just (censored)...

Norman, I've just done a drawback claim including fuel filled from my bowser at home. The bowser is currently taken to Ronaldsway where it is filled and brought home. When I did the drawback claim I wrote to HMRC in Newcastle and they said it's all ok, just include the invoice for filling the bowser. So, if you buy from Warter you will get an invoice. That's all you need to complete the drawback claim as normal. I think I'll give Warter a go. I have a container rental business, I've asked Warter for a price to load my container in Poland, it's fallen on deaf ears so far. Ian

STOLman - this could be better,thanks. You mean I go foreign and return, do no internal flights apart from going foreign again, and claim full drawback? Most of my flying is touring, I could only claim £27 last time.

Norman
United Kingdom

Ok, pre suppose you have some Warter drums of fuel at your airport. Your next flight is abroad and you fill your plane full up from the drums and go DIRECTLY abroad you can reclaim the duty on the whole amount of fuel in your plane. You fly home again having maybe filled up abroad, maybe not. Once home you fill up from your drums and fly abroad again. So long as you correctly work the numbers making sure you are not double claiming on the same fuel you can claim a full tank again. However, you should inform HMRC about your Drum stache of fuel. This is harder to write than to do in practise.

Many thanks STOLman, looks like I'll be applying for a storage licence now.

Norman
United Kingdom

Yes, I was going to suggest you do. I had to apply for a Petroluem Storage Licence for the bowser, if you store more than 20l of fuel then you need a licence - madness. It was £46. You have to do a risk assessment and have a visit from the local fire station. I was lucky, the local Fire Chief did my Risk Assessment for me free, except the bottle of Scotch I gave him. They make the site visits on a Wednesday night here on the island and that was duely arranged. I was shocked to see what turned up, 16 firemen and two appliances!!! Wednesday evening is obviously a "jolly". My wife made coffee for them all and in return they watered the garden emptying both appliances. They then refilled the appliances from the fire hydrant next to our house. Apparently, the local fire station has a water meter and they get charged! It was free from our hydrant. The world works in mysterious ways. How will you store the fuel, in the drums from Warter? If you do you will need a bunded area. My bowser is ADR approved and is doubled tanked so I did not need a bunded area. However, the whole area needs the proper signage, No Smoking, Petroluem Spirit highly inflammable etc etc. you need fire extinguishers with their annual certification. The Petroleum Licence lasts one year. To renew you get a visit. If you are buying a storage tank give me a call, I have loads of stainless steel vessels which are approved for Avgas storage in the 1000 - 1200l range.

This is priceless info, STOLman, for anybody who wants to set up their own airfield/strip.

The way things are going, a lot of people are going to be doing that...

By "storage tank" do you mean above or below ground?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some people think that their car runs better with fuel from e.g. BP than Shell but these people are just (censored)...

Maybe, but my Touareg will not run on 95 grade...and twice now using 97 grade from my local BP the knock sensor has caused the engine management light to come on...causing the engine to go into protection mode and requiring a reset....very annoying....never happens with Shell...or even Sainsbury's! Of course it may be an accidental? mixup at the BP station (how do you check?), bit I have friends who have had the same experience from the same BP garage

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message