Welcome to our forums

Eurocontrol charges fraud warning

Just got this from Achim.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another similar one

Administrator

I never understand how people fall for such badly worded, dubious, all-caps emails.

The newest variant – they are getting better

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

But what is special about these fraudsters that they leave such obvious fingerprints ,like putting a space before a comma but not after ,or neither,capitalise the Wrong letters ,fail to start new sentences with capitals etc?

Surely there must be someone in Nigeria with a basic grasp of written grammar and punctuation who could proof read these emails? It would make them much harder to spot.

EGKB Biggin Hill

You aren’t wrong about Nigeria… a whois on eurocontrolint.net yields

But evidently it works to some degree.

Administrator

Peter,

I can just see you thinking “oh, why are we always prejudiced into thinking it must be a Nigerian?” then doing the whois and thinking “ah, right.” :-D

EGKB Biggin Hill

We get this at work almost weekly. Usually a bit slicker than this, but the patterns of products being ordered give it away (would fool the normal sales office staff though).

Administrator

Timothy wrote:

But what is special about these fraudsters that they leave such obvious fingerprints ,like putting a space before a comma but not after ,or neither,capitalise the Wrong letters ,fail to start new sentences with capitals etc?
I’ve seen speculation that this is done on purpose, simply too weed out people who won’t be fooled in the end.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

too weed out people who won’t be fooled in the end.

Not much to be gained from that, is there?

huv
EKRK, Denmark
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message