Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Random Check" at Ostend, EBOS

what_next wrote:

Fighting security people does not help. It will only create an even more hostile environment between them and us. Totally useless and harmful for all of us, especially those (like myself) who have to earn their living in this environment.

I appreciate your point but from an alternative view point protecting everyones rights prevents the enviroment becoming hostile. It is as it should be with any terms of engagement, both parties follow the rules and conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner if and until there are very good reasons for changing the rules of engagement and those reasons then need to be subject to scrutiny. If you dont go about it in that way I think that is when we see the public becoming antagonistic and unco-operative, of which there are many examples. Alienate a group in the community and they will not support you.

There is a good artcile in this months edition of Flying on just this subject comparing and contrasting the treatment meated out to a commercial pilot by the fella in charge of airport security and the check airman. You can see in the article how the one alientates the writer and the other not,

“Officer, I realise and appreciate you have a very difficult job but nonetheless I expect to be treated with the utmost civility by you. If you do not treat ordinary members of the public with respect and dignity you cannot possibly hope to garner their support when you are in need of it”.

Forever learning
EGTB

As with commercial aircraft, foreign aircraft are considered as foreign territory ? Or does this not apply to light aircraft?

That’s a really good question. Many decades ago, if you were born on say a US registered passenger liner, you acquired US nationality. And same with airliners. I very much doubt that is true today otherwise loads of pregnant women from various parts of the world would book themselves on cruises, late in their pregnancy.

A warrant may be necessary in theory but in practice police have ways and means. For example in the UK they can’t do random stopping of traffic, so they just stop you and say “Sir, you were swerwing”. That also enables them to check you for alcohol, which is something else they cannot do randomly. Without these “devices” police would not be able to get anything done.

Your suggestion, Stick, is great were it not for the strong self selection on character profile that goes on, in that profession as much as any other

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For example in the UK they can’t do random stopping of traffic, so they just stop you and say “Sir, you were swerwing”. That also enables them to check you for alcohol, which is something else they cannot do randomly

Funny. That is exactly the situation in Germany as well.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

I very much doubt that is true today otherwise loads of pregnant women from various parts of the world would book themselves on cruises, late in their pregnancy.

There is some significant birth tourism both to the US and France, which has the same law (droit du sol) as the US. Watching Air Algerie flights arrive at CDG quite often made you think you’d strayed into a maternity ward….

Yes but I don’t think they drop the sprog while in transit on a vessel registered in the desired country

I wonder if there are any lawyers who might know, or might know somebody who does? @Howard?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For example in the UK they can’t do random stopping of traffic, so they just stop you and say “Sir, you were swerwing”. That also enables them to check you for alcohol, which is something else they cannot do randomly. Without these “devices” police would not be able to get anything done.

Peter, I dont think so, in the UK the police can stop a vehcile without the need to state their grounds. They cant however search the vehicle other than in circumstanes as previoulsy stated. The officer must be in uniform.

Noe wrote:

I meant it in the sense of “are there other people flying that plane

Me and my wife are flying the plane exclusive and we control each other.
Today the German Embassy in Brussels recommended to contact the police at EBOS via mail for an explaination what I did. I very much appreciate the answer.

Berlin, Germany

Re booking cruises to give birth, there are a few problems. First and foremost, there is only one running under US flag because of the strict rules associated with that (IIRC more than half of the crew has to be American, which is rather bad for the service experience because American kids tend to feel underpaid and overworked quicker than some Filipino or Indonesian staff). It also has to be built in the US, for which there is no suitable experience in the industry. Check the history of the Pride of America if you are interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_of_America

Since that ship only goes from/to Hawaii, anyone traveling there must already meet the same immigration criteria as for a landborne holiday in the US.

And then finally due to lack of adequate medical facilities on board (and to avoid liability issues), cruise lines deny boarding to women after a certain stage of pregnancy.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 11 Oct 22:13

I had a situation in Le Touquet in 2011 where border control officers searched our plane inside out.
It was on a rainy day and it resulted in a one hour delay.

The officers were friendly but there was this uncomfortable atmosphere. After they were finished (nothing found of course) they departed in their Cessna.

This felt like a random search. I had the impression they just did it to fill their time while waiting for better weather.

I’ve been to EBOS with the family two months ago. The people there were very friendly. The guy that brought us to the plane even offered to take a photo. highflyer has been very unlucky…

Sign in to add your message