Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Random Check" at Ostend, EBOS

Regarding searching the plane and the need for a warrant: AFAIR police in Belgium do need a warrant for searching a car just like for searching a house. Should be the same for a plne, I reckon. OTOH customs can and do stop cars regularly for “routine searches”. German customs have stopped my famous campervan on the highway twice in one year to search – quite extensively, but of course in vain – for drugs. On one occasion they were correct but no more, on the other they were extremely friendly, almost apologising for doing their job. Belgian customs routinely stop trucks and vans for checking on the use of “red” diesel fuel.

In fact I seem to have heard that, among all kinds of uniform wearers, police have least privileges, and are most strictly monitored. But that may vary a lot between countries.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

highflyer wrote:

Not nice is what happened on Sunday: We arrived at the airport quiet early.

We are glad that you arrived early, otherwise we may have been given ‘the treatment’ instead of you, was that you in D reg 172 that was getting the working over ?

All they wanted from us was a quick look inside the aircraft and that was it…I can understand the treatment you received putting you off of the place forever.

Normally its not like that, I think it was some sort of surprise security check exercise.

I know that you probably would not go there again but I am told that over the weekend 22/23 October it is the ‘opening of Apron 3’ and there will be no fees for visiting aircraft,
check airport website for details.

lenthamen wrote:

I’ve been to EBOS with the family two months ago. The people there were very friendly

Nice pic, especially the aircraft in the background !!

I agree normally everyone is very friendly there.

So far as the UK is concerned the Aviation Security Act deals with this;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/36/contents

and in terms of the general discussion about codes of practice in respect of search and detention this highlights some of the key points I previously made

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117611/pace-code-a-2011.pdf

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message