Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When you part company with your GoPro at 1,500'....

Could be used as a promotional video clip?

[ url changed to normal version – Peter ]

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

2greens1red wrote:

Could be used as a promotional video clip?

I would rather call it “possible evidence in court”. If that thing falls close to a person in my part of the world it will fetch him a well deserved five years sentence for attempted murder. I think the first casualty due to detached cameras falling from planes is long overdue. This one nearly hit the pilot himself.

EDDS - Stuttgart

How did he get the camera/footage back?

EGTF, LFTF

Even in “your part of the world”, if it hits and kills somebody, it would be “Fahrlässige Tötung” (involuntary manslaughter in England, in this case probably through recklessness or negligence). Murder requires intent, and under German law also a criminal motive.

If it misses and doesn’t hit anybody, it would be endangerment.

I am not sure a small gopro would actually kill somebody, but that is besides the point – dropping it is a bad idea…

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

Murder requires intent, and under German law also a criminal motive.

Mounting this unapproved device in unapproved way on an aeroplane is much more than negligence. It comes very close to intent and a good lawyer will convince any judge anytime about that.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Terminal velocity would be about 150kt which is enough to kill someone if unlucky.

I wonder how they identified the owner?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fortunately for all of us, judges tend to read and know the law.

Even people who, for example, botch fixing the brakes in their cars and run off the road, which is arguably more dangerous than dropping a 200g camera, do not get convcited for “attempted murder”.

That is not to say that dropping one is “cool”. This is negligent, and should give us cause to think and secure these things properly.

Hyperbole doesn’t help.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 30 Oct 12:26
Biggin Hill

Something weird about this. How did they find the cam back on the bottom of the sea?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

How did they get it back? A comment from the person who uploaded the video…

It washed up on the beach about a month or so and was picked up by a very nice man who managed to track us down after viewing the card. It was in perfect working order once we put in a new battery, only the casing had a few scratches but was intact.

EGTT, The London FIR

That’s an amazing video! Glad they got the camera back. Descent rate based on 1500 ft altitude seems to be about 750 fpm, or 8.5 mph. Balls in use by people on the beach go many times faster.

A friend lost his Zlin canopy one day while doing aerobatics. It landed in on the side of a mountain but he notified the police that he’d lost it, so that if somebody reported finding an aircraft part he might get it back. Sure enough, he got a call and was able to reuse much of the frame in building a replacement. Flying the plane back to base was tricky but was done successfully.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Oct 15:07
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message