Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical tip of the month: Avoid sodas when flying?

I just received this in my monthly AOPA Pilot Protection Services newsletter, and am wondering if that is the best part of the return for my 99 $ I’m spending for this… or rather the possibility to speak to a US lawyer without immediately having to pay for it if you ever busted a TFR while flying in the US.

This advice against bubbles runs contrary to my experience though. I always take sparkling water with me and have never had any troubles after drinking it.

Really wondering what the peanut butter is doing in his list for the snack bag as well.

Lol. Well, not to go way off topic here, but looking to the U.S. for dietary advice is like looking to Saudi for advice on gender equality.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

I believe that doctor is a former Brit

However, it is not hard to think of dietary advice which would improve the diet of an average private pilot…

The stuff that’s available doesn’t help.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Perhaps he just likes peanut butter.

My flying is in the bottom 10,000ft and like Rwy20 I too carry sparkling water. The only care required with that is in the initial opening if at any height, but it’s just water after all. Not some sticky, sugared fizz.

Last Edited by ChuckGlider at 02 Nov 08:58

Since he seems to refer more to airline flights, even though it’s an AOPA newsletter, it is noteworthy that the cabin altitude in most jets is maintained at 8’000 ft (or 6’000 ft in the B787 IIRC). So we easily also attain and surpass such cabin altitudes in our GA planes.

From what I hear, taking them up to 8000 ft of cabin altitude seems to be enough to cause medical trouble to a substantial number of airline passengers, especially on routes where there is a higher proportion of older passengers on board. But a dose of oxygen usually takes care of that.

Peter wrote:

However, it is not hard to think of dietary advice which would improve the diet of an average private pilot…

I think the Cornish Pastie makes a perfect in-flight meal!

Andreas IOM

LOL, well, if sparkling water or sodas is his problem…

It’s known that Cola drinks do cause some gas but by far not all of them. But the far more intersting stuff is in the food: Bean salad with coleslaw or other such items are quite regularly on the menu. I’ve even come across a particularly hefty chilly con carne on board.

The result…

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 02 Nov 11:56
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You can’t usually hear farts when wearing headsets, but you can sure smell them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the Cornish Pastie makes a perfect in-flight meal!

That resembles a bit to Soylent 2.0:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/soylent-is-healthier-than-our-diet/489830/

I’m looking at the menu for my fly-in lunch this coming Sunday, and trying to decide between the Apple Rasberry Spinach Salad and the Pistachio Nut Chilean Sea Bass. The ‘medical’ issue is not one that I’d considered but I now think I’ll drink non carbonated water!

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message