Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ball park figure for ownership costs

Don't get me wrong owning is much better than renting in a whole lot of ways. Of course if you buy you will almost inevitably fly a lot more.

You may also find you quickly outgrow a C152 and want something a little bigger and faster particularly if you may want to fly with more than 1 other person. Another reason to maybe wait a little until you get some more experience.

EGTK Oxford

You may also find you quickly outgrow a C152 and want something a little bigger and faster

I was about to say the same thing. Jude, there's nothing wrong with joyriding in a C150. And you may feel that anything bigger is outside your current comfort zone.

But if you start flying on a frequent basis, you only need to put in maybe 10-20 hrs to feel perfectly comfortable in a C172 or C182, both of which will expand your mission profile immensely. (especially the latter)

I suspect that budget & time are your main constraints. Budget: Whatever you do, make sure you buy cash & have plenty left for repairs. Otherwise aircraft ownership becomes a completely miserable experience. So save before you buy. Time: Flying requires time and you have to make it a priority, otherwise weeks & months will pass with all sorts of excuses for not going, and proficiency + motivation quickly drops.

I suspect that budget & time are your main constraints. Budget: Whatever you do, make sure you buy cash & have plenty left for repairs

Good point. Our engine in the PA28-181 needed overhauling earlier than expected (though arguably not entirely necessary but was taken based on a safety decision). When I got into our group, they had just spent a lot of money on a GNS430, a new windscreen and some other stuff to make it look good. The funds in the group at the time I bought my share were not bad, but they weren't enough for an engine overhaul (about £20,000), and all group members injected some personal funds.

Like owning a car, there is potential for some nasty surprises, so as Hodja says, save a bit first, if you do want to get into a group. Or know what the groups funds are, and what their plans are for upgrades or other monies that need spending. I also agree with Jason about working out what you want. In my opinion a four seater with range for about 4 or 5 hours would be a minimum if you want to go places. But once you have something, you will always want something better but if you know what is 'adequate' then you will at least be content for some years. If you outgrow something in a year, I can only think it will be an immediate loss in money spent, over renting for that year.

I had a lesson in a PA28 Warrior running through most of the GST handling stuff last week and enjoyed it and felt really comfortable even though obviously did feel heavier that the C150/152.

I also just need to do 3 additional circuits in "calm" conditions in a RD400 as it was G30 on my checkride with additional windshear on final (though did 6 ok circuits in various configs).

I'm only 5'3" and its a bit of a struggle to reach the rudder pedals on a C172 even sitting on a cushion!

A 2 seater will be fine for the foreseeable, being a single parent with a daughter 1 year off from drama school/Uni. and not atm into flying though has had a couple of lessons.

Budget is a consideration but time is not too much of one as can fly weekdays and not just weekends.

I do appreciate all the comments, thank you.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message