Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ball park figure for ownership costs

I had a lesson in a PA28 Warrior running through most of the GST handling stuff last week and enjoyed it and felt really comfortable even though obviously did feel heavier that the C150/152.

I also just need to do 3 additional circuits in "calm" conditions in a RD400 as it was G30 on my checkride with additional windshear on final (though did 6 ok circuits in various configs).

I'm only 5'3" and its a bit of a struggle to reach the rudder pedals on a C172 even sitting on a cushion!

A 2 seater will be fine for the foreseeable, being a single parent with a daughter 1 year off from drama school/Uni. and not atm into flying though has had a couple of lessons.

Budget is a consideration but time is not too much of one as can fly weekdays and not just weekends.

I do appreciate all the comments, thank you.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

I suspect that budget & time are your main constraints. Budget: Whatever you do, make sure you buy cash & have plenty left for repairs

Good point. Our engine in the PA28-181 needed overhauling earlier than expected (though arguably not entirely necessary but was taken based on a safety decision). When I got into our group, they had just spent a lot of money on a GNS430, a new windscreen and some other stuff to make it look good. The funds in the group at the time I bought my share were not bad, but they weren't enough for an engine overhaul (about £20,000), and all group members injected some personal funds.

Like owning a car, there is potential for some nasty surprises, so as Hodja says, save a bit first, if you do want to get into a group. Or know what the groups funds are, and what their plans are for upgrades or other monies that need spending. I also agree with Jason about working out what you want. In my opinion a four seater with range for about 4 or 5 hours would be a minimum if you want to go places. But once you have something, you will always want something better but if you know what is 'adequate' then you will at least be content for some years. If you outgrow something in a year, I can only think it will be an immediate loss in money spent, over renting for that year.

You may also find you quickly outgrow a C152 and want something a little bigger and faster

I was about to say the same thing. Jude, there's nothing wrong with joyriding in a C150. And you may feel that anything bigger is outside your current comfort zone.

But if you start flying on a frequent basis, you only need to put in maybe 10-20 hrs to feel perfectly comfortable in a C172 or C182, both of which will expand your mission profile immensely. (especially the latter)

I suspect that budget & time are your main constraints. Budget: Whatever you do, make sure you buy cash & have plenty left for repairs. Otherwise aircraft ownership becomes a completely miserable experience. So save before you buy. Time: Flying requires time and you have to make it a priority, otherwise weeks & months will pass with all sorts of excuses for not going, and proficiency + motivation quickly drops.

Don't get me wrong owning is much better than renting in a whole lot of ways. Of course if you buy you will almost inevitably fly a lot more.

You may also find you quickly outgrow a C152 and want something a little bigger and faster particularly if you may want to fly with more than 1 other person. Another reason to maybe wait a little until you get some more experience.

EGTK Oxford

I certainly hope to more flying this year. Also to find other people to fly with as "boring" flying on your own, landing away for coffee etc on your own. And also to learn from other people....hopefully not their bad habits :)

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Seems to look like that the C150 I currently hire for £95 wet plus landings is not a bad price

Yes, that's not a bad price. I pay £100 an hour + £150 per month for a Piper Archer II 1/4 share. These prices are slightly inflated because we need to build up some more equity to fund a re-spray soon. But I would echo all the points Peter made at 14:53 and that to make your money (and your plane) go further it is best to share the trip with someone else.

Since I bought my share (pre-recession), I have no doubt I have lost a not insignificant (well to me anyhow) amount of money as 1: the hull value has come down quicker I think in the recession and 2: needing the engine overhauling earlier than expected. BUT, I have absolutely no doubt that I would not have had the experiences, the joy, the ability to use the plane properly and at my leisure, the added skills and so on, had I just been renting. In fact I'd have thrown the towel in by now.

For reference I do about 60 - 70 hours a year. I decided that anything less than 50 per year didn't make practical sense.

however I think 10 hours/year is not economic to buy and even in a group structure isn't worth the hassle.

Well, yes, if someone is planning to fly just 10hrs/year then ownership cannot make sense.

If I was going to do just 10hrs then I would try to find a friend to fly with, and come on trips, cost sharing perhaps. It will be a lot more enjoyable than flying alone, especially if doing so few hours. I could not fly the TB20 10hrs/year - would struggle to find the hole for the starting key!

Figures like that can totally ruin your calculated hourly cost. Unless you rent the aircraft dry, but then the only way to prevent cheating is that they top up the aircraft after the flight which may result in mass and balance problems for the next renter.

I used to rent out the TB20 2002-2006, aiming at putting together a group of good quality flyers, and failed miserably. No doubt I have written more about this adventure previously but basically renting is not a business that will ever attract any significant number of quality customers. The quality customers are nearly all owners (or in syndicates) already.

A well known UK SR22 "zero equity" operation, with ~ 5 planes, has just dissolved. They were over £300/hr. A sign of hard times I suppose, but you have to have a serious "mission requirement" (i.e. taking out a girl with serious potential ) to pay that sort of money for a plane which (due to the rental) is basically no good for anything but short trips to France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

nobody else has been lying about how long they flew it (happens very frequently) so they pay less

Oh yes, I remember that very well... when we were renting our Seminole, the record logbook entry was 1:10 for a flight from Stuttgart to Hamburg which would have required a groundspeed of 250kt (in an aeorplane that has a TAS of 150kt...). When we enquired with the pilot, he came up with some lame excuse that he mixed up local time with UTC when filling in the logbook. To save flying time and money, renters also like to fly flat out all the time. Without leaning or anything. When I fly a Seminole, it consumes 80 to 90 l/h. We had renters who managed 130 l/h and more. Figures like that can totally ruin your calculated hourly cost. Unless you rent the aircraft dry, but then the only way to prevent cheating is that they top up the aircraft after the flight which may result in mass and balance problems for the next renter.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter, you are right and I don't believe in a fixed hourly amount to rent vs buy however I think 10 hours/year is not economic to buy and even in a group structure isn't worth the hassle.

Aircraft not used much have higher maintenance costs.

EGTK Oxford

Economically, one would stay in bed and travel by hitch-hiking

Bed parked by side of road ?

;-))

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message