Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport management discussion - USA versus Europe and why Europe is so often so screwed up

Indeed, thanks for sharing @Jujupilote

What an interesting video, showing a totally different attitude to GA and airfields, to what we have in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting video :

I wish we had such insider info about how airports/ATC/fuel/handler really works in Europe.

LFOU, France
. . .like Santa Monica, that will be closed in 11 years and runway length reduced any time . And that is one of the busiest airports in US with about 270 aircraft there. See:

Santa Monica

Vic
vic
EDME

Yep three developers have been at it for 25 + yrs. They have tried everything dirty tricks, miss information to the public,politics you name it, to get the airport closed.

They have lost every time and with millions of $ of cost to the town. But since the town can just increase your taxes to pay for all the lawyers and studies what do they care? At first it was about noise now they have dropped the pretense and want it shut. So now you know what that means? Where property is going for about $1,000,000 an acre they stand to gain 1/2 a billion dollars.

Im only hoping they die off before their greed is realized.

This is not unique to East Hampton its happening all across the country.

KHTO, LHTL

Eugene, the same story in the US, see the Hamptons debate:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/04/nyregion/east-hampton-airport-noise-regulations.html

The only difference is that in the US, the municipality and state have no say in such airport matters. Over here, a GA airport can’t do much against the will of the local communities.

Its amazing that the neighbors tolerate someone flying over their homes even if all it is is a silent sailplane. Its not the noise but the principle.

KHTO, LHTL

Alexis wrote:

I know nobody who was refused PPR, but maybe by August they don’t have any slots left.

Well now you do. And let me give you another tidbit of infos that you might not know: If you ever try to get a slot in Jan – March, you will find out that their year starts at April 1st. So Spring time is the only time you can almost be sure to get a slot there. It took me quite a while to find that out after being refused slots at the end of March several times until some kind soul there took the time to inform me of that little gem of information.

I’ve scratched EDNX off my radar as it is simply stupid to the tell me not that a working aviation museum with it’s own airstrip can’t even get slots independent of the Fluggruppe there for major clients who house exhibitions there for large fees. EDNX would be a perfect aerodrome for Munich, close to the S-Bahn to the city and all that, but right now it is naught but a private runway to one small user group.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There is no chance to get a slot under 2 tons at EDDM.

For somebody to catch a flight EDML is good, 20 min drive to the airport.

EDNX: interesting, thank you. I know nobody who was refused PPR, but maybe by August they don’t have any slots left.

Just because my SR22 is too light. I wonder about the reasons.

There is nothing “airport operational” about this.

The most likely reason for excluding light GA is the perceived poor level of PPL training, and consequent inability to deal with a busy airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
144 Posts
Sign in to add your message