Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there too much elitism in GA?

To do this properly we should have the next fly-in to Cuba

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I must say I am suprised how a simple side comment by me on a thread about grass runways turned into a full blown debate on communism/capitalism

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes, Cuba is debatable and the main question will be “worked for whom?” but there seems little doubt that it has largely worked for the many hopeless poor, at the expense of the few wealthy. It probably would have worked much better but for superpower intervention.

Kibbutzim are a more worthy example that it can work.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Cuba has also worked reasonably well.

Well, that one could start a longer discussion ;-)

LeSving wrote:

Quote just because communism didn’t work in Russia or USSR, doesn’t really mean anything

There is one very fine and pure version of Communism that works very well, peacefully and unthreateningly; that is on the traditional kibbutz in Israel. Everyone earns what they can, and is given what they need. It depends on people sharing an ideal and getting their rewards from the society around them rather than from individual possessions and wealth.

Cuba has also worked reasonably well.

EGKB Biggin Hill

LeSving wrote:

or a TBM

People will be quite interested when you show up in a TBM

LeSving wrote:

This is how it should be, and this IS how 90% of GA is today. Flying around, visiting other fields and having a great time. Nobody cares if you come in an old corroded wreck of a rented Cessna, or a microlight in all it’s incarnations, or a TBM. The important thing is to be “there”, to get your selfie on Facebook so to speak

I agree with this.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

I don’t think anybody can dispute that

I can, and I will. He he. Communism is a reaction to the class segregated society where people are born into a layer of the society they have no hopes of getting out of. If you are born as a poor factory worker, you, your children, your children’s children and so on will always be poor factory workers. This isn’t envy, it’s just a reaction to a society that is rotten and segregated, without equal opportunities. It’s simply unfair that a factory worker has to be poor, and it is unfair that he has no real opportunity do become anything else. That communism doesn’t really work, is another matter entirely. But i mean, just because communism didn’t work in Russia or USSR, doesn’t really mean anything, because capitalism doesn’t seem to work all that well there either. Communism works just fine in China, with their special “commu-capitalism”. Things like envy are cultural aspects and transcends political ideologies.

The way I see it is that all things gets corrupted sooner or later due to every and no particular reason, also in free societies. The clue is to change, to stir the pot before it gets completely out of hand and settles in concrete. Sometimes that change requires tearing down of social and political structures where power and wealth is concentrated too much. It is every man and women’s right and duty to do so with the sword in hand. So were the old Viking law, and IMO, that law sometimes seems more important today than 1000 years ago.

But back to topic
aart wrote:

This flying bug.. A genuine desire, nothing to do with showing off. I’ve been involving myself in the UL scene here lately, and it is such a joy to see that people with a limited income can get their Fix (not necessarily an IAF, IF or FAF ) by just going airborne for 30 minutes and spend the rest of the morning watching others fly. Not a trace of elitism btw whatever that terms means.

This is how it should be, and this IS how 90% of GA is today. Flying around, visiting other fields and having a great time. Nobody cares if you come in an old corroded wreck of a rented Cessna, or a microlight in all it’s incarnations, or a TBM. The important thing is to be “there”, to get your selfie on Facebook so to speak

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

However, taking this back to this thread topic, sort of, in the West you can buy what you want if you can afford it and you can flaunt it for all to see…

Brings me to an observation which is slightly tangential to ‘elistist’ but nonetheless.. Most people I know in aviation that are able to afford an aircraft own it not because of bragging rights. For starters, not much to show off if you have an aircraft sitting in a hangar. You’d need an upscale car or boat if you feel the need to expose your wealth and drive/sail circles in places where people are.. A lot easier too, because you need no skills to drive a Porsche..

On the whole, I sense a real passion for aviation amongst aircraft owners, apart from utility value that it might bring. And the same goes for people who cannot afford to buy. This flying bug.. A genuine desire, nothing to do with showing off. I’ve been involving myself in the UL scene here lately, and it is such a joy to see that people with a limited income can get their Fix (not necessarily an IAF, IF or FAF ) by just going airborne for 30 minutes and spend the rest of the morning watching others fly. Not a trace of elitism btw whatever that terms means.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Having come from Czechoslovakia I would say that envy is the principal driver behind communism. I don’t think anybody can dispute that. The entire left wing doctrine is based on stripping down the rich.

Also we cannot escape politics when discussing e.g. airport funding, airspace charges, ATC, the “need” for 8.33, etc. Practically everything to do with the way GA is structured is driven by national politics. All the big organisations are deeply political and that incidentally prevents many people posting (due to employee bans) who would otherwise make good contributions.

Party politics is best avoided though. Well, if we carried adverts we would have to allow it (and allow the resulting fights) because you get 10x more traffic

However, taking this back to this thread topic, sort of, in the West you can buy what you want if you can afford it and you can flaunt it for all to see and nobody can stop you. What people can do is shut down your airfield, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
77 Posts
Sign in to add your message