Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a family plane (and performance calculations)

…and Flight Instructor training, and upcoming upset recovery training for ATP from 2018…

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That is not true, at least for Germany, Of course an instructor who has an aerobatic rating is allowed to do spins with you.

It also wouldn’t surprise me that Germany has a better safety record with respect to stall/spin accidents. Spin recovery is so type specific that basic spin training may not be that useful. Incipient spin training may be a case where it is indeed useful, as recovery before the aircraft enters stable autorotation should be close to universal – outside of the old skool approach to Vmc training.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I try to do a little slow flight and/or maneuvering on many flights for proficiency, and consider it absolutely necessary. Spinning is always a possibility and not knowing how to recover being ‘normal’ is a joke. You’re not yet a pilot if that is the case.

I wrote about it in this forum, but search defeats me, maybe Peter can help and add a link…

@cobalt I don’t know what keywords to search for, but you can search your own posts from your profile

For complex searching, see here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexis wrote:

That is not true, at least for Germany, Of course an instructor who has an aerobatic rating is allowed to do spins with you.

I would second that – our club has completed spin trainings, the last one in May this year.
so, yes, you can get training for that.

EDM_, Germany

I think I’ve come close once, and it was turning base to final in the pattern…
Everything in me said, “GTFO of that NOW!” and I took drastic action.

What I felt was something like starting to slide in a sports car, where I would instinctively let off the gas…
In this case, I instinctively firewalled the throttle,dove and straightened out to gain speed. (basically just ‘snapped out’ of it).

All that being said, I’ve never done spin training, as it was already eliminated when I got into flying, so I don’t really know what it feels like. I’m taking a WAG.
It felt like my plane was about to slip out of the sky, like sideways, and it didn’t feel good…

Is that about how it goes? Or did I experience something else?

Last Edited by AF at 19 Jun 21:40

Would this be a nice family plane?

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=38629

At the given price I could probably afford to buy and run it together with one or two others. Equipment looks nice to my untrained eye. Engine needs to be overhauled quite soon though, AFAIK.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Can’t one go past 2k hrs in Germany? If the engine has good compressions and good oil analysis etc, and has no obvious suspect dormant periods, it is normal to do that.

It has 8.33 and AFAICT Mode S. The GPS is truly ancient but if you fly VFR then you can navigate with one of the tablet apps.

No doubt others here will have other input.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t know many about 182, but as I was looking for a family plane for me, Cessna’s big singles appear to be a good compromise between performance and accessibility for a low hour pilot. The mechanic who help me thinks they are pretty reliable with a good avaibility for parts.
I ended purchasing a 206 a few months ago.

Last Edited by Olivier14 at 23 Dec 21:41
Caen LFRK, France
Sign in to add your message