Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help With Buying

Hi Folks,

Any thoughts on this?: http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=36299

I have been back and forth with the seller (AMO) and am happy with his answers (not skipping over questions, happy to have Mooney Service Centre PPI)

He says his price is flexible and I was wondering what those of you with more insight would consider a fair offer.

EIMH, Ireland

Hard to say. You probably know the aircraft much better by now than any of does from looking at the advert.

Still, 85k sure is a LOT of money for an almost 40 years old J with:

-very high airframe hours
-no WAAS
-just one 8.33 radio
-no Aspen or Garmin glass
-quaint black leather seats (you will hate them in the summer)

Frankly, 70k would be plenty IMHO and 65k probably the right price. But that’s just from a distance. We don’t know the mechnical condition, previous maintenance, etc.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Jun 20:18
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hello Rob,

it looks like a nice J on the ad, as bosco sais the price is on the higher side, but it would be roughly compliant with Jimmy Garrison’s estimates for the US market. Only that in Europe nobody pais these prices. But then again, the prices on plane check are almostt always wishful thinking and can be negotiated.

What I like is that it has decent engine and prop hours, has flown quite a bit (900 hrs since 2011 is pretty decent) and has been in a CAMO, which usually means someone takes care that all maintenance is done. It has the KFC150 which is a very good system, it has 8.33 with the GNS430 and it has an EDM800, all nice things to have. The GNS430 upgrade to WAAS is about 3000 Euros but well worth it. That is all I can see from here that this airplane realistically needs and that is a question of about a week ground time while the unit gets updated and the new antenna put.

Of course an Aspen would be nice but with the current equipment not a must. Whether you like the leather seats is a question of taste. I’ve driven a car with black leather seats and while they tend to get hot if left in the sun, you can easily keep them normal by either putting a cover over the plane windows or simply a towel while you are outside the plane.

It has about 2000 hrs more than “standard” planes of that age, but at least that means it has been flying, not a hangar queen.

If it’s a solid J you are after, I’d give this one a good look, possibly take it through a pre-buy and talk price, but from here I can’t see much wrong with it.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 13 Jun 22:15
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

quaint black leather seats

They look awfully like green seats to me?

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Indeed Doesn’t make it any better though….

Rob, just saw you asked for what we think it’s worth.

Jimmy Garrison’s evaluation for this plane is $92402 and that does not even take into account all the mods and times this plane has. That is around 80k Euros, so pretty much spot on.

http://themooneyflyer.com/valuation/M20JValuation.html

Seeing that in Europe the prices are often enough unrealistically low for the lack of buyers, you might look at a 10-20% decrease. I also don’t know if you need to pay VAT on this, if it’s a private sale or not. If you can get it for the without VAT price of 65k, I’d say that is a good price, yet even the asking price is well within the ballpark. There are other J Models on planecheck more expensive with less avionics and worse times.

IF the ad is accurate, then this is a fairly rare “fly away” example without any need for massive upgrades in the near future. Other than upgrading the GNS to WAAS and possibly swapping the KX155 for a 2nd 8.33 NAV/COM there is not much to do. That needs to be taken into the account here. Clearly you can get M20J’s a lot cheaper but by the time most of them are in the condition this plane appears to be in, you end up in the same ballpark.

@Bosco, I had the same prejudice about leather seats but found that they can be a lot more durable and comfortable than others. Dark green is not ideal but it is a sight better than certain fabric covered seats. I used to have a car with this kind of seat and all I used to do to stop it from heating up is place a towel over the seat when I left and removed it before I enter. Never was a problem. I have leather seats in my current car and would not really like to go back to fabric.

Yes, a matter of taste obviously. I used to have fabric seats in the SR20 and now have (light beige) leather in the SR22. I prefer fabric, but the leather being a light colour in the SR22, it’s not bad either.

Rob,

as an afterthought, have you seen this 231?

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=32023

Not sure if I’ve pointed it out to you before, but it appears to me that it’s a very sound plane. Both engine and prop are done very recently (2014) with 100 hrs since overhaul. Yes, it is a GB engine, but it has GAMI injectors and it is quite newly done. Avionic wise it is also very well equipped, with a brand new GTN650 and the standard KFC200 AP. Payload with max fuel (272 ltr) is still over 210 kg.

Yea I had looked at that one and it looks great, but it is above what I can afford (I negotiated a decent bit less with the seller of the J), and also the ongoing costs would be too much. The J above has the exact same payload. Temperature never gets above 20C here so leather is no big deal :)

Last Edited by zuutroy at 14 Jun 13:45
EIMH, Ireland

mmmhh there should be some room to negotiate

Maintenance: ARC valid until 06. Sep 2016.
Last 100 hours inspection completed in September 2015 at 3484 total time.

When you check the brokers site, it actually got a new ARC in Sept 16 until Sept 17
But it also tells you : 2 hrs since ARC / 100hrs inspection. Sitting to sell since ?
The old data on planecheck also means it does not sell at this price.

So – not a “let’s see whether I find an idiot, while I happily continue to use it case”.
Not used, not sold, just producing costs. Next annual will be hardly cheaper, but not worth it…

The broker may not be forthcoming, but what about the owner ?
I would try… show effort, learn about the plane and its owner(s) and ultimately offer a cash purchase and see how much will to sell there is ;-)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 14 Jun 14:18
EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message