Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA new "Skyway Code" book on flying in the UK

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Dead reckoning based SOLELY on paper charts and plog, without a moving map for reference, is plain reckless in my opinion.

You can do it north of Manchester, but although I quite enjoy “basic navigation”, I’d never want to fly without a moving map south of Blackpool – nor would I do it without something that keeps a log (both the G5 and Skydemon keep one, the G5 also has altitude recorded from the static system).

Andreas IOM

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Contrary to the whole PPL/CPL training scene where you’re supposed to dead reckon your way around the minefield that the UK airspace is.

Perhaps the UK training scene. I have begun teaching the use of moving maps when I became FI in 2013. However, I do think it is adventageous to new pilots to know how it is done per hand and to have learned it at some point. Likewise, you don’t learn to write with a computer, but by hand, even if later in life you do almost all writing on a computer.

I did not think London airspace is too complicated. At least it was pretty straightforward when we flew there a couple of years ago. But a moving map adds a lot of convenience and safety, that is true.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message