Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

It’s definitely an EU only thing and indeed cryptic for everyone else. Norway CAA has put it on their FAQ

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Never heard that one…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_person

This is standard terminology whenever a language is taught. Surely those terms were used when you learned English?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I never learned English, formally

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Obviously speaking in the third person would not include (for example) speaking to a group and saying “welcome to the meeting, we are here today to discuss the role of third people in our work” Maybe somebody should host an academic conference to compare international misuse of English grammar

“Maybe somebody should host an academic conference to compare international misuse of English grammar”

Picking an analogy of claims on Chinese grammar misuse by “others”, which grammar are we talking about? British English (traditional) or American English (simplified)?

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Mar 19:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@ silvaire I am afraid by your definition of illiterate you would have to add William Shakespeare to the list of those who need educating in English grammar, it’s the reason actors interpret the lines differently I don’t recall him using many commas to guide the sense . So perhaps by referring to English as the language of WS the French are getting it all wrong and should learn their English on the forums.

France

Earlier I almost posted that regulations do not need William Shakespeare, they need to be clear. Instead I said regulations are serious business not theater.

I hope that makes sense to third people – my new term for people outside of native English speaking countries .

I come in peace, take me to your leader!
On second thought, don’t.
p.s. all your base are belong to us ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Not Shakespeare but “English English” (according to Michael Cane)

Now if you come up with some of this stuff during your level 6 exam you better hope your examiner is someone who speaks or at least understands this…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message