Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fake avionics advertisements

A friend has the mobile no 07*** 000005 so lots of leading zeros are possible

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

What is a virtual phone number? How and why is it obtained? (Information for ignorant geriatrics on EuroGA.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

@Maoraigh, these are numbers without a physical telephone line. They can be used by VoIP subscibers to receive incoming calls, or simply forwarded to a different number elsewhere. There are lots of providers around. I am with Localphone and fairly happy with them. They used to give a UK virtual number for free, now they charge €1 a month.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

In the old days of electromechanical, and later fully electronic, telephone exchanges a phone number would connect to a point in that exchange (by the dialing code) and then the rest of the number would create a connection to a specific line, which would come out of the exchange as a copper wire.

Nowadays, phone calls are routed in software and all kinds of hacks are possible so that e.g. 01273 456789 ends up on a copper wire going to a Brighton address but 01273 456790 doesn’t go anywhere and was sold by BT as a block of 500 numbers and calls to those numbers are instead routed to the reseller (I use Localphone too) and he directs them as per his internal routing. This is the reason we in the Brighton area are forced to prefix even local calls with 01273 – because bloody BT sold so many Brighton numbers to the likes of Localphone

I can then set up a mobile phone, with appropriate software on it, so that a call to 01273 456790 rings that mobile phone. So people think they are calling somebody in Brighton but actually I could be some criminal in Mongolia. The only clue will be that the call is even more crap quality than normal mobile calls And I can call you with my mobile phone and present 01273 456790 as the called ID, which is pretty slick, but is actually very easy.

Anyway, on this topic, a virtual number is easy to buy and easy to discard without (if you do it carefully) being traceable to whoever owned it at the time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks. I suspected something was possible, but didn’t realise BT supported it. I’ve twice had phone ring, not got to it in time, no message, and apparently a local rural number. When I rang back, it was a call centre, “Please hold the line…..etc.” There’s nothing like that in our code area.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes; I can set up a VOIP service which presents any number I want as Caller ID. The ones I have used do some brief checks to make sure I “own” that number, but a less reputable one wouldn’t.

BT have sold off god knows how many thousands or millions of numbers. However I don’t think any of UK’s mobile networks have done that – yet. I can imagine they would not want to because if say Vodafone allowed my mobile number to be virtualised then they would lose all income from it. I can already present my mobile number as Caller IR (with Localphone VOIP, or any other) and if I could receive VOIP incoming calls on it, Voda would really hate that because they would be totally bypassed, and they don’t have all that many numbers to play with.

Administrator

FWIW, off topic but answering another OT post above, I never heard a beep from Mr Breu. I wonder if they are like Roeder who told me they deal only with Germans?

Administrator

EuroGA seems to be very effective! Within minutes of my above post I got a reply but the price is too high by about 2x, at $5900+VAT.

Administrator

Guys watch out for scammers on Afors selling Garmin GNS and GTN units for reasonable prices.

I engaged in the conversation just to take it further and ofcourse, they are not willing to provide serials, plus photos they gave were nicked from beech forums..

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=136509

Evo400
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message