Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight TV — general aviation TV from Russia

highflyer I suppose AOPA Russia (mailaopa.ru — write them, since they don’t have English version of their website) and Federation of Amateur Aviation (FLA RF — facebook.com/flarfru) are much better source of practical information than I am, as well as they capable of practical assistance. 100LL and B-91/115 are available at at least half of private airfields if not more (100LL is a bit less popular here than you may expect because a lot of people fly aircraft with Rotax 912/914 engine that consume regular A-95/98 car gasoline, and the majority of the rest use B-91/115 — Cessnas with Lycoming engines are less popular here than you may expect).

We’ll do some sort of brief introduction on how foreign private pilot can get to Russia — I heard you about that and already gave a task to the writer to work on such feature — but we won’t produce step-by-step manual for because it’s too costly for us: 30-minute movie for several dozen people is beyond our possibilities unless it’s a commercial order (and that won’t happen, I guess). I’m not a pilot myself, if you didn’t get that yet… nor I have means to become one in foreseeable future for reasons at least financial if not any other.
You surely can fly IFR here, but then you’ll be treated as something like business jet, and your expenses will be like that of business jet owner.

To be short: Mathias Rust did really bad job back in 1990. Exceptionally bad. And now since then everyone here feels the backfire of it.

Flight_TV wrote:

To be short: Mathias Rust did really bad job back in 1990. Exceptionally bad. And now since then everyone here feels the backfire of it.

Wasn’t the requirement for a Russian navigator in place before Mathias Rust’s flight?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Wasn’t the requirement for a Russian navigator in place before Mathias Rust’s flight?

That, or any other regulation, would not stop another Mathias Rust from doing the same thing =)

ESME, ESMS

highflyer wrote:

According to ICAO-rules.

Russia never joined ICAOs first freedom of the air. It is safe to assume that they will not comply with all ICAO-regulations. As long as they don’t sign something they don’t have to implement it.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Russia never joined ICAOs first freedom of the air

Maybe I do not understand this

Berlin, Germany

@Dimme Regulations, of course, сould never stop M.R., but Soviet military and KGB see small private aircraft as almost personal threat since then, and behave accordingly.

Russia is definitely the ICAO member. Moreover, it is the member of the Council. It could not be otherwise, because ICAO is the UN sub-organization and Russia (as the heir and caretaker of the USSR) is one of six founding and permanent UN members, it can’t be excluded from the UN unless it disintegrates to naught, and that won’t happen in foreseeable future. Moreover, Russian is one of UN (and, hence, ICAO) working languages, which are six (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Mandarin). ICAO regulations though are not restrictive or imperative about local policies regarding private aviation: Mainland China (PRC) is ICAO member as well, but there is almost no general aviation there in a sense we all here are used to… at least yet. Maybe you mean the EU/EEA conventions on subject, not ICAO, and in that case you’re absolutely right, Russia never did sign them as it is not a member or even associate of the EU, and until at least government (in global sense, not cabinet) and even the whole national mindset changes, it never will become one.

https://www.icao.int/Pages/freedomsAir.aspx

First Freedom of the Air – the right or privilege, in respect of scheduled international air services, granted by one State to another State or States to fly across its territory without landing (also known as a First Freedom Right).

@Dimme is right, Russia never signed the treaty for the First Freedom of the Air. The agreement is called International Air Services Transit Agreement (IASTI): https://www.icao.int/secretariat/legal/List%20of%20Parties/Transit_EN.pdf

achimha wrote:

in respect of scheduled international air services

General aviation is not scheduled international air services, so no contradiction here :)

Also, had Russia signed that, it would be left without transit flyover payments… that make up to 70% of Aeroflot’s budget (allowing it to remain normal airline without discounter quirks, with proper safety procedures and with regularly updated fleet). Russia is the only country that charges foreign airlines for passage over its territory (mostly for trans-polar flights).

Flight_TV wrote:

Also, had Russia signed that, it would be left without transit flyover payments… that make up to 70% of Aeroflot’s budget (allowing it to remain normal airline without discounter quirks, with proper safety procedures and with regularly updated fleet).
Huh? Having enroute charges is the norm in all of Europe. I don’t see that Russia is doing anything unusual there.

Also the first freedom doesn’t prevent you from having enroute charges (or “transit flyover payments”). Before the current Eurocontrol charging system, Sweden had enroute charges for all traffic, foreign and domestic, light and heavy, VFR and IFR. And Sweden signed the first freedom treaty in 1945…

Russia is the only country that charges foreign airlines for passage over its territory (mostly for trans-polar flights).

It certainly is not! But if, as you say, it really uses those charges to subsidise its own airlines (rather than paying for infrastructure) then it may be the only one.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Aug 07:22
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AFAIK every country charges for overflight. So a 747 going Gatwick to Cape Town pays firstly Eurocontrol-collected charges for UK, then France, then maybe Italy, then it gets a bill from every country across Africa starting with Libya and all the way down.

This is not the same thing as requiring an overflight permit. Most of the countries in the world do that too, but the USA, Canada, Europe, AFAIK Australia and NZ don’t. Morocco varies according to who you speak to…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message