Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CD-300 diesel engine certified

Great post Arne.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Arne wrote:

Make no mistake: you are choosing between pest and cholera.

Hence I have chosen electric years ago

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t think my association with gasoline powered vehicles is going to have any effect on my health, ever. I do think however that breathing soot blown directly in my face (which is I’m sure a rather more acute situation than the ethereal, theoretical and possibly nonsensical model would apply) is both unpleasant and might if I did it daily have a discernable health impact. I am glad not be one of those regularly riding a two-wheeler around (for example) the Grande Raccordo Anulare in Rome, choking on Diesel fumes, as I have done before and will probably do again.

As I slowly work my way towards an engine change IO540, has the diesel tech moved forward at all?

I have a recollection of 15 years now – promises, next best thing, but…

Anyone disagree? I’d love to ‘go piston JET’, but I don’t think it’s any sort of option at the moment.

Diamond chose CD-300 for their new DA50, so we’ll see how this particular engine performs. CD-155 happily runs in DA42, DA40 and C172 conversions. Other than that, Diamond’s factory Austro Engine produces AE300 and AE330 (actually it’s one engine with different HP rating) but they recently started to have big problems with them when switched to their own block (previously they used original Mercedes’ ones).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

but they recently started to have big problems with them when switched to their own block

??? This is big news!
Did they announce it or do it under cover? The whole idea was that they use a stock engine… I don’t understand…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

It’s announced, two MSBs have been issued, soon to become FAA’s ADs (I believe they are already EASA’s ADs – I haven’t checked because I don’t have AE300 engines in my aircraft). They used stock engines until they were available but Mercedes ceased production.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Other than that, Diamond’s factory Austro Engine produces AE300 and AE330 (actually it’s one engine with different HP rating) but they recently started to have big problems with them when switched to their own block (previously they used original Mercedes’ ones).

This confirms what I’ve heard as rumours… Not good at all.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

This confirms what I’ve heard as rumours… Not good at all.

I agree… several engine in-flight loss of power (both single and twin engine aircrafts). Luckily all single engine ended with successful dead-stick landing except one ditching (Corsica). One twin failure ended with OEI landing and post-landing analysis found that one engine suffered loss of power while the other was very close to the same failure.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Mooney_Driver wrote: This confirms what I’ve heard as rumours… Not good at all.

I agree… several engine in-flight loss of power (both single and twin engine aircrafts). Luckily all single engine ended with successful dead-stick landing except one ditching (Corsica). One twin failure ended with OEI landing and post-landing analysis found that one engine suffered loss of power while the other was very close to the same failure.

@emir, what is wrong with it? Wrong material? Or not manufactured within the tolerances required?
I always thought that the engine block is the easiest engine part to manufacture.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message