Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CD-300 diesel engine certified

Mooney_Driver wrote:

This confirms what I’ve heard as rumours… Not good at all.

I can consider myself one of the victims, I had a drop in engine power down to 30%-40% with AE300 but I landed safely, the aircraft operator replaced engine on the aircraft and I think Diamonds did a great job following back on the case, we did not know the exact case that caused it for sure the blame went into “bad injectors behavior” (probably due to low JetA quality and we opted for an extra check for any sediments traces, let’s say previously we were looking for water), one month after Diamdonds issued an SB bulletin for injector changes at 800h

I think with FADEC you may see things coming few minutes before they really happen, most of the time it’s false positives (ECU fail, blips here and there) but it’s easy to spot a true positive when you see one I had a tough time landing in a field or estuary near QE2 bridge or fly back to my home runway 15nm or the nearest aerodrome 5nm away, I opted for the latter but I think the aircraft could fly for ages at 80kts but probably not as far as LeTouquet…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Nov 12:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There was a case with a DA40 near ZRH recently, which landed on a field with double ECU fail. We don’t know yet what caused it.

It is very surprising to hear that Austroengine, which was supposed to be the “better” version of the Thielert/Conti offering, is now having these problems.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

arj1 wrote:

@emir, what is wrong with it? Wrong material? Or not manufactured within the tolerances required?
I always thought that the engine block is the easiest engine part to manufacture.

Here it is:
EASA_AD_2021_0203R1_1_pdf

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It is very surprising to hear that Austroengine, which was supposed to be the “better” version of the Thielert/Conti offering, is now having these problems.

Well… it’s not better

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Mooney_Driver wrote:

There was a case with a DA40 near ZRH recently, which landed on a field with double ECU fail. We don’t know yet what caused it.

Actually the SUST report was just released: Report HB-SGV local copy

It was a maintenance error. They over-torqued the fuel injector. From what I heard the top had to be replaced because the thread was not fixable.

Switzerland

Emir wrote:

arj1 wrote: @emir, what is wrong with it? Wrong material? Or not manufactured within the tolerances required? I always thought that the engine block is the easiest engine part to manufacture.

Here it is:
EASA_AD_2021_0203R1_1_pdf

“Concurrently, it was determined that,for engines equipped with a certain cylinder head, a stack up of tolerances exists between the cylinder head, cylinder head cover, camshaft gear and HPP gear.”

EGTR

Emir wrote:

Here it is

Interesting (and kind of shocking) that for “Type 1 engines” (refers to a certain revision) they do not even allow a repositioning flight to the next repair shop. Even if it’s a twin.

Germany

Interesting (and kind of shocking) that for “Type 1 engines” (refers to a certain revision) they do not even allow a repositioning flight to the next repair shop. Even if it’s a twin.

I believe you’ve got it wrong. The table provides combinations of type and group. Based on this, SEP can fly until reaching defined conditions and after that it’s grounded, so at that time it has to be at service center. However, MEP can take one additional ferry flight after reaching conditions in table.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

airways wrote:

Most of the diesel owners in Europe don’t even know how to drive their diesel. If you want to drive it like a GTI, then buy a GTI

My GF/Partner has just bought a 2019 BMW 330d Msport and it is frighteningly quick – I have a 911 big-boy-toy, and was mightily impressed – the torques overtaking someone doing 75-80km/hr and how it handles corners, it’ll give your GTi a run for its money for sure and might even keep up with my Porker… And I certainly havent seen any black smoke…

Regards, SD..

68 Posts
Sign in to add your message