Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far are you living from your airfield ? (and How long to reach and what means ?)

Unfortunately it’s just over an hours drive for me. The distance is only 54km but almost half of the route is on an agonisingly slow 50kmh road, the rest through the city and a small 5 minute portion on open autobahn. Another alternative is Uetersen (EDHE) which is 50 minutes away but I’d be paying over double per hour than what I am currently for a battered rental from a flying school, unless I find an aircraft in Hamburg EDDH which is only 15 minutes away!

Public transport would be an hour and 20 minutes with a 10 minute bike ride on the other end. I don’t mind trying this one day but fortunately I haven’t had to resort to it yet.

I expect to be moving to the south west of Germany late this year/early next year so we’ll see if I can cut down the flying commute!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

45 mins for me even though I live 10 mins from Aberdeen “International”. Couldn’t justify the costs at Aberdeen which are extortionate. They are waiting for the oil price to recover before they diversify. Good plan…

Longside EGPS

30 min by car.

EKRK, Denmark

85 miles / 1 hour 20 for me. Luckily it’s all on the motorway, so it’s an easy drive.

At the moment, this is the best option for me – it’s the right airplane with the right people in the group, in a less-than-ideal place. There is a strip about 10 minutes drive from me, but I have yet to find the right group for me there.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

90 km or 55 min door to hangar door.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

6km / 15 min by car to controlled airport
12km / 25 min by car to grass strip

LPFR, Poland

2 hours by train/foot. If I drove it would be about an hour. I do my flight planning on the train.

230 km, return mostly on motorway, a boring 1:10 hour each way, legal to ESSU. This is since 2010/05 when ESKB was close due to the fact that the politicians here DO NOT want to have GA and do not care to much about GA in Sweden.
Sometimes, (mostly weekends), we do car sharing and have interesting discussions, when travelling alone, thinking how long I can continue into this madness. No way to do this on public transportation since it will end to use taxi for 2 × 20 km for the last leg.
Frustrating since the weather forecast may be wrong, and you may be forced to wait, (winters), for the fog to lift up maybe all day, let alone talking about maintenance and inspections.

ES?? - Sweden

18km / 16 min by car to EHLE. I consider myself lucky living close to the airport.

just under 40 minutes by car to EHTE

EHTE, Netherlands
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message