Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport food

But, judging by another thread, if you land to eat that delicious Greek menu, you'll never be allowed to leave. Or shot trying.

Looks like a trap to me!

Redhill, United Kingdom

Just had a nice pizza in ETEJ (Bamberg) and an ALB.

Double curiosity:

-) ETxx stands for a military a/d, are civilian ops allowed at Bamberg? Under certain restrictions, perhaps?

-) What's an ALB ? Allgemeiner Luftfahrt Bedarf? Aviator's Light Bröttchen? Aseptisch Leicht Bederfflich?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

maybe an After Landing Beer?

EDMA, Germany

Bamberg was an US Army airfield, the army left in Jan I think. There were civilan operations since the 50s. I was very restriced as the ADIZ (Air Defence Identification Zone) went through that area when the iron curtain was still closed.

chwinter is right ALB = After Landing Beer.

United Kingdom

the army left in Jan

So ** that**'s where I got stuck!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I went to Lydd EGMD yesterday.

The only thing I considered edible was the “mushroom” soup, but I was wrong. It didn’t taste like soup, or really any food…

How can such a feat be achieved in the modern age?

Do pilots really prefer to eat the worst stuff you could find in a roadside truckers cafe like this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The only thing I considered edible was the “mushroom” soup, …

I would be afraid of ordering mushroom soup in a decent restaurant… According to their website, Lydd has something like a restaurant: http://www.lydd-airport.co.uk/passenger-information/restaurant Or quoting from a different site: " The highlight of the airfield is definately the Biggles Bar with its good food (including Sunday roast) complimented by anunequalled view of the airfield activities with its floor to ceiling windows. Pictures of Lydds past ventures adorn the walls. " (http://ukga.com/airfield/lydd/reviews)

Why some pilots prefer to try the roadside truckers cafe instead I don’t know

Last Edited by what_next at 01 Apr 14:36
EDDS - Stuttgart

I can wholeheartedly recommend The Pilot’s Hub Brasserie & Coffee House based at Hangar 9, Redhill (EGKR). It is equally appealing to aviators and non-aviators alike and serves a variety of freshly prepared quality food. It overlooks all the airfield action and is far and away the best on-site airfield café that I have come across so far in the UK.

More about the Pilot’s Hub here.

More about Redhill Aerodrome here.

UK, United Kingdom

Given Lydd is surrounded by pretty bleak fields and next to a firing range and a nuclear power station, and the airfield itself is, um, an airfield so has things like runways, taxiways and hangars and stuff, OF COURSE the restaurant is the highlight, but only in the sense a candle is the highlight in a dark room with an especially good blackout curtain.

Biggin Hill

Lydd’s restaurant was always terrible. Not even the airport businesses went there – only unsuspecting first timers could be seen in there. The spag bol I had last time was there I would not even feed pigs with. But what boggles the mind is – how can anyone mess up spag bol to begging with? It’s almost cock-up proof. But not at Lydd.

Sign in to add your message