Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some PAX shouldn't be the first to board an aircraft

Today in Essen, Germany, EDLE.

A Jetprop with a single door at the back. An eyewitness reports that several suitcases were put in the aircraft.

Need to pay attention to this in many Bonanzas, too.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That was what struck me as well. The F33 is prone to this too. And the DA40.

LFPT, LFPN

Wow what a shame. Lots of work as pressurised?

Last Edited by Alex_ at 14 Nov 18:36
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Err, that is definitely behind the aft pressure bulkhead…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Still going to be a few k…

You could easily have one passenger – especially nowadays, even a lady passenger – who weighs as much as say five 25kg suitcases. So I reckon those who operate these types are probably (mostly) aware of this risk.

That’s a Jetprop, too… I bet the owner is really p1ssed off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And potential damage to the control surface… Ouch.

EGTF, LFTF

In my experience the PA46 is very stable on the ground. I can sit in the baggage compartment all the way back and work without any problem. Our old F33A would have fallen over. In all PA46 I have flown three averange persons can be in the back without any person up front and the planes would not fall over.

But I think the issue is the door. Passangers can do quite some damage to it so the pilot will try to close it him / herself. Especially if there is no copilot seated in the front seat this is the critical moment. You have bags in the back, mabye three passengers in the back and the pilot is also in the back to close the door…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

as a former loadmaster for pax airplanes this has not happened to me yet but I see how easy it is. It even happens to airliners from time to time.

found this one as a quick search. Withnessed two DC9’s. With the Caravelle, if you were careful it was easy to let it down at the rear softly and change front tyres without a jack. If you were not careful, it would trip without warning. I once was stranded inside one briefly as the towing truck disconnected and drove off before I could lower the aft staircase and put the stick in place… had to get the APU started up and call them back on the radio…. yes this was before mobile phones. It was ok as long as I was in the cockpit (I was 90 kgs then…happy memories) but not when I walked past the wing…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That is a very expensive fix because of what that ring that it landed on is attached to. It is not a pressure bulkhead but is structural. It costs more like 10k to fix.

A former cargo pilot i was speaking with last night told me that the 727 was famous for that too. If you stopped too aggressively when light the nosewheel compression could bounce the tail down.

There was a procedure where you would transfer fuel until it was almost tipping back down then pull it down using the escape ropes in the cockpit.

Last Edited by JasonC at 15 Nov 00:41
EGTK Oxford
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message