Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hangar doors: what is reliable and not expensive ?

My current hangar has sliding doors. Each door has something like 3 (or 4) panels with sliding wheels on track. Each panel is extremely light and all three (or 4) panels can be moved by hand without any problem. It is a mystery to me how anybody would choose those doors that open upwards, folding or not. Gravity is a fact and trying to defeat it generally ends up badly. A door with an electrical motor is one more thing that might fail.

LFPT, LFPN

Achimha
Is it what you would build if you were looking at ?

The hanger we used until it was demolished for car park spaces had the original sliding doors from its construction in the early 1940s until around 2000. The replacement doors were the same style, but needed less strength to move.
The hangar used by the school I’m renting from was built after 1990. It has vertical accordian door, electrically operated. They are the second set in that time.
PS. Under Scottish planning regulations, it’s easier to get permission for an Aircraft Storage Shed than a Hangar. One airfield bought a Hangar second-hand, dismantled, transported, and erected it as an Aircraft Storage Shed. May hold in other jurisdictions.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes, TIG is good for Maule exhaust cracks but MIG works fine on light structural steel, and it is cheap and easy to use. An inverter MIG runs off a 240V domestic supply or generator and will also run MMA rods up to 4 mm diameter. Every bushplane owner is going to need one someday

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

I’ve mentioned Bostwick and Bolton… But maybe you know others ?

Would you (@Peter, @Michael) have a look next time at the airfield, to see if it’s another brand ?

If you google “Folding Shutter Doors” there are lots of suppliers.
These doors are fairly cheap , and seem to be OK if you keep the bottom tracks clear of debris

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I walked past the “KB” hangar today but forgot to look at the door… I will call them on Monday.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here you go

It’s probably not the manufacturer but you can call them and find out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Achimha,

Just out of curiosity, how is power supply arranged in those circular hangars? If you would like to have cable connected for heating or similar?

ESOW, Sweden

For information, the hangar suggested by Achimha are as follow:

(A) 23m in diameter, approx. 415 square meters, for 6 E-type aircraft, € 220.000 net
(B) 24m in diameter, approx. 450 square meters, for 8 E-type aircraft, € 240.000 net

I also inquired Wessex Industrial Doors and they provided a quotation. A door as I need (18m by 5m) is approximately £9500 + VAT.
Two things are difficult:
– transportation (each door is 1.4T)
– it needs a beam which must be able to support a rolling load of 36KG perM2 and not deflect more than 13mm. And I don’t know if it is easily feasible.

Bolton, I tried to contact them, to get a quote, but they didnt answer.

Thanks for your help !!

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 27 Nov 15:47
E-type

??

Last Edited by Cobalt at 28 Nov 12:04
Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message