Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Notification of Not Returning to Home Airfield

Is the following normal?: I was dropping my aircraft for avionics work today and this is the first time since I owned it that it wouldn’t be returning the same day. I called up the tower and requested start for VFR to the field I was going to. Landed no problem and got picked up by car. 15 mins after home airfield closed I get a phone call wondering what’s going on and where I am. I figured as there was no flight plan etc I wasn’t beholden to anyone but they seemed to think that it was instructive that I tell them if I’m not returning.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

I get a phone call wondering what’s going on and where I am.

Its good to know that somebody out there loves you

When “booking out” on the phone with Prestwick ATC, they often ask if I’m coming back, but I assume that’s just to know whether to keep my “strip” alive, or to bin it after I QSY en-route. It never occurred to me that they might be concerned for my safety, but they’re very kind and they sort of know my airplane, so I’m sure it’s possible.

On reflection, it’s probably good manners to announce such intentions, just as I’ve learnt to let the local FISO know that we’ll be doing atypical landings of one sort or another, in case some poor soul who’s not quite as smart as her mobile phone thinks she’s witnessed a crash. I shouldn’t complain, many of my landings do look and feel that way, and when the day comes I might be grateful.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

How did they get your phone number ?

LFOU, France

Before calling for taxi on radio, I have to book-out on phone, so ATC will see my phone number. Probably the same for Zuutroy.
They sometimes ask if I’ll be returning later on the phone book-out.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I have an account (fuel/landing fees/parking) so I presume my details are on file. Sometimes ATC will ask me if I’m coming back today but they didn’t this time. Typical!

EIMH, Ireland

Booking out is a UK only thing. Zuutroy operates from EIWT (Weston-Ireland).

Having said that, Weston operate a system that is similar.

Zuutroy, as Weston is based in class C airspace, you are supposed to file a flight plan for every flight. If something happens to you, Weston are left with an open flight plan and know to start trying to find out what has happened.

You didn’t submit a flight plan. Because of all the local flights, in particular training flights, if Weston insisted on applying the letter of the law and required a flight plan for every entry and exit, they would be overrun with multiple flight plans for the same call sign. So they are pragmatic and say (like most Class C airports in Ireland) that you don’t need a flight plan for the purpose of arrival or departure to Weston. (If you need it for some other purpose such as entry to another airport’s airspace or crossing an FIR, then you’re on your own, because you are supposed to have a flight plan!) So this is why you can operate in and out of Weston without a flight plan.

A number of years ago two instructors went flying together in the late afternoon. They didn’t file a flight plan and used the local concession explained above. They crashed and both were killed. Because there was no flight plan ATC didn’t know to follow up on the fact that they didn’t come back. The others from the flight club were already gone home. Nobody knew that they were missing until the next day when the others turned up for work and noticed the aircraft was missing.

Nobody truly knows if the outcome would have been different had they been found earlier, but reading the accident report that seems unlikely. But there was a lot of soul searching done at the time, and as a result now anybody departing without a flight plan is supposed to fill up the log at the main desk just before going airside. That tells ops about your flight and in particular if you’re planning on returning that day and your planned destination (so they have some idea where to look for you if you don’t come back). When you land you’re supposed to fill it up saying that you’ve returned.

Each evening that log is checked to make sure everyone came home, with a follow up on those who didn’t, but were expected home.

As you’ve noted ATC often ask too, if you’re planning on coming home that day.

Somewhere along the way, it was noted that you departed, and because you didn’t file a flight plan and didn’t complete the departure log saying that you weren’t coming back, they got concerned.

In future you should complete a flight plan or complete the departure log at the reception desk before going airside, and then you won’t have that problem again. You’ll still get asked if you’re coming back over the radio, because ATC like to stay on top of it too!

I hope that helps!
Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

You didn’t submit a flight plan. Because of all the local flights, in particular training flights, if Weston insisted on applying the letter of the law and required a flight plan for every entry and exit, they would be overrun with multiple flight plans for the same call sign. So they are pragmatic and say (like most Class C airports in Ireland) that you don’t need a flight plan for the purpose of arrival or departure to Weston. (If you need it for some other purpose such as entry to another airport’s airspace or crossing an FIR, then you’re on your own, because you are supposed to have a flight plan!) So this is why you can operate in and out of Weston without a flight plan.
The letter of the law says that for a short flight in controlled airspace, you need give only the details necessary for the clearance and that constitutes a flight plan — which in fact is what you do when you request a clearance for arrival or departure. So there is actually no pragmatism but just the standard rules (SERA.4001).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks Colm, it all makes sense now. No one ever told me how that kind of stuff works during training or when I started parking my a/c there so I was in the dark. Hopefully not too many dirty looks await me next time I’m there!

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

Thanks Colm, it all makes sense now
To me as someone not familiar with flying in Ireland it doesn’t: How would a flightplan make any difference in this scenario? Let’s say zuutroy flies to his avionics shop in the morning and duly files a flightplan from A to B. The work takes longer than expected and he decides to leave the airplane at B overnight. So would ATC in A expect him back now or not?

Friedrichshafen EDNY
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message