Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it a hangar or a tent, and where could I get one?

Somewhere in the UK:

I’m looking for opinions on durability of this hangar or however this thing should be named.
How much does it cost?

Not the same, but these have advertised recently:
https://www.shelterit.co.uk/hangars

Norman
United Kingdom

For many years there’s been a large structure of that type of construction at Plockton, not a wind-sheltered airfield.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Well, you could go on G-INFO, get the details of the airplane’s owner and call ! First hand knowledge beats internet fora any day of the week…..

You could, but as we all know, owners are often unwilling to discuss negative stuff (not least because the building is likely owned by someone else with whom you need to maintain a delicate airfield-political relationship) and it is the negative stuff which needs to be avoided

Everybody knows that a hangar is just pure heaven

Having seen a few, I reckon these are OK if you cannot afford a properly sealed building. They have large gaps which I suppose could be sealed if you extend the sheeting to the ground and then say an extra 20cm and weigh down the extra bit by dumping a bead of concrete on it. As regards strength it could be OK but needs to be really well attached into the ground, otherwise wind will pull it out (gusts create a suction which just lifts things off).

For security, it would be superficial only because you can get in with a pocket knife in seconds. But you could install security gear inside. In a country location I would definitely do that (looked into it about 10 years ago).

Here in the UK the biggest issue is Planning and AIUI (could well be wrong in detail) this is a building which is as “permanent” as one done properly, so if money is OK, may as well do it properly. Obviously this aspect is likely to vary greatly around Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You could, but as we all know, owners are often unwilling to discuss negative stuff (not least because the building is likely owned by someone else with whom you need to maintain a delicate airfield-political relationship) and it is the negative stuff which needs to be avoided

Probably different if you ask in person or in a forum…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Not with the GA “gossip circuit”

I nearly got myself kicked out of the hangar in 2002, after a conversation over a lunch with somebody. What I said reached the hangar owner faster than I could walk the ~200m there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m pretty certain that the photo is North Weald. Several of these hangars were put up recently – in 2017.

Phone up The Squadron and ask. They are friendly people.

I had a similar one erected, supplied by Northern Polytunnels.

The covering will last 5-10 years with polyethylene, maybe up to 20 years with coated woven nylon. Overall cost is similar either way. Main covering supplier is VisQueen.

We opted for a roller front door which winds the fabric onto a central roller tube via a crank handle and gear box.

Ground prep consists of surveying and digging a 500mm cube hole for each ground pole. the arches slot into a ground tube set in concrete & flush with ground level.

Be prepared for the ground to drop a couple of inches as the soil dries out leaving a step at the entrance.

The vent meshes you see front and back are essential for good ventilation, but allow rain to blow in unless they’re baffled.

Ones similar to your picture are about £3,000 delivered plus about £1-1.5K for ground work and erection I would guess.

If you leave the concrete a few inches below ground level, the hangar can be removed without leaving a ‘footprint’, which may be a planning consideration.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one