Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are we still allowed to access our aircraft?

EHLE no restriction

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

No such requirement at EGPE Inverness.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

No such restriction at Leeds, but don’t put the idea in their heads.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

To rub salt into the wound of any club member who lives or works offshore or abroad, or who just has a life outside GA, the airport has recently announced that it will automatically cancel any Airport Identification Card which has not been used for 60 days,

Is this a swipe-type thing? I would love to see the faces of the security guys at one of the heli-operators if you swiped yourself onto the apron and back just before going offshore “just to see that it works OK this month”..

To some of the earlier comments – there is certainly a “security type” that gets seems to get employed. As someone that travels as SLF every couple of weeks I know exactly whats in my carry-on and am usually organised for minimum fuss/time. I still get the odd “incident” though and its usually “the type” being difficult. I agree that the regular airline crews could have nipped the whole “crew security” thing in the bud had they made a stand after 11th-9 though – an opportunity missed.

Most jobs self-select on personality type and in most cases this is incredibly obvious, but nowhere more so than in the security / enforcement professions. One could make all sorts of non-PC comments… best reserved for Facebook

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you want an example of sheer unthinking idiocy think of this.
I was travelling as SLF Heathrow to Tokyo Narita and had my leg in plaster (after surgery). I passed through the scanner no problem and then was pulled aside by a female security person who informed me that for a drug search my plaster would need to removed. Note I do not nor have I ever had anything to do with drugs in my life. I felt that despite the possible consequences I must protest and tried to do so calmly and quietly, nothing doing!. Eventually a supervisor (who it seems had been witnessing this altercation) became involved and removed the said female from the scene and apologised most sincerely for the experience and helped me through everything else right to the boarding lounge. What could one say except where was the woman’s brain?

UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Most jobs self-select on personality type and in most cases this is incredibly obvious, but nowhere more so than in the security / enforcement professions.

I love this comment !!

Back to OP’s question. I think this thread provides many details for specific airports or security measures. It misses out on the bigger picture. When every country, every region and every airport comes up with it’s own implementation AND if you take your plane beyond the traffic pattern more than just once a year, then this piece of legislation means that you will have to comply with different rules and face different nonsense in almost every other place you land. Hassle without benefit – regardless how “friendly” the security personal may be. I think Sir_Percy has a valid point even if “your” airstrip next door is not (yet) affected.
Another aspect is potential cost impact. When the airport authority decides that GA pilots do not fit into their existing security setup (e.g. because of distances, separation) and that the 6 pilots landing every month ain’t worth any extra trouble they always come up with the same ingenious silver bullet. It solves all problems without any financial investment or brain power. It’s called mandatory handling. Not a problem at the biggest airports. This is where you expect such treatment anyway. But more and more firm requirements may have this trickle down into smaller and smaller facilities. At mid-size facilities in Germany and France you can see it happening at another airport every year (latest examples EDHL and EDTF). And this is typically the type of airports which used to give you reasonable access to ground transportation. What’s left is airstrips in the middle of nowhere, ideal for traffic pattern work and ultralights. OMG

Last Edited by AJ at 11 Dec 12:16
AJ
Germany

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

If you want an example of sheer unthinking idiocy think of this.

One other.

Blackpool Airport. Two doors to get to security. One marked Aircrew, the other not marked. Both lead into the same area. Three security bods greet us as we come through the door marked aircrew, we in hi viz et al returning to our aircraft.

Here goes……

Them-Sorry you have come through the wrong door. You need to go out and come back through that one. You are not aircrew.
Us- Do not be so f…… stupid. We have an aeroplane.
Them- That is not aircrew.
Us – What are we then?
Then – If you do not comply you do not get to your aircraft.

Ten minutes, a Supervisor and a Manager eventually got us airside. And no we did not go out and come back through the other door.

The problem with all this total nonsense is that you become the problem. Dealing with certain jobsworths becomes extremely tiring eventually.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 11 Dec 12:59
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

The problem with all this total nonsense is that you become the problem. Dealing with certain jobsworths becomes extremely tiring eventually.

That is the thing that really irritates me, though of course if you show the irritation it makes it worse… It doesnt seem to matter how calm, collected and organised you are, these people see YOU as the problem, the difficult one, the one that doesnt fit their usual modus operandi. It doesnt occur that perhaps they are the ones with the problem element.

skydriller wrote:

these people see YOU as the problem

Absolutely true. This is not a customer service role and they can do many things to make your experience as uncomfortable as possible. All with the blessing of the airport.

EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message