Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eurocontrol planning and routing applications - a comparison

I assume, that the GP problems do result out of the aircraft performance which is applied for the aircraft. I first had the same thing, than specified every setting according to the POH and since this time the results in the routings are identical with the Autorouter. The Autorouter seems to be more tolerant in regards of the performance settings than GP is.

EDDS , Germany

Interesting, it is quite likely that the Autorouter and GP performance profiles differ. I used real numbers from the Flight manual but I have never checked that they are the same and I didn’t enter an incorrect or different parameter value. Thanks for that – I will check.

Phil

Lydd

And just when I am beginning to gain confidence with Foreflight …… Here is the route that is generated between Lydd and Manchester which was very swift and sensible

But here is where the map thinks I want to go. It just happens that there is an Airport in the USA with the designator N57 and a Waypoint called WELIN

A route overhead of 8,300% is this a record?

Joking part, it really is beginning to look like the European products are the only ones that work predictably.

Lydd

The Jepp products sometimes do this too. Flitestar IFR Europe can do it. The fix is easy: when multiple waypoints of same name are seen, you pick the one nearest to the last route waypoint. FF must be doing this already (otherwise e.g. SAM in UK and SAM in Greece would blow it up, as well as countless 2-character NDB names) but it looks like they have a bug in the code.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks like they might be doing “pick America First”

You can see where the bug is. They failed to spot N57 is a valid object (which is not an airport).

This will probably cause failures on the various fixes on RNAV approaches e.g. these (I cannot immediately find names which have just 2 digits) some of which will match American airport names

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PhilG wrote:

Joking part, it really is beginning to look like the European products are the only ones that work predictably.

Normally FF asks you to confirm which of an ambigous waypoint is correct. You didn’t get a box to confirm?

I just entered it in the route box and it found it fine. Perhaps caused by the /N57 which is incorrect?

Peter wrote:

This will probably cause failures on the various fixes on RNAV approaches e.g. these (I cannot immediately find names which have just 2 digits) some of which will match American airport names

No. In 50 or so flights so far, it really hasn’t caused any difficulty in that situation.

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 Mar 14:59
EGTK Oxford

I should have said that this odd routing was found using the ForeFlight Browser UI. When I was reunited with my iPad and looked at the very same flight that had synchronised across the routing was absolutely fine.

Jason may be on to something with the /N57 which to be honest I had not noticed. These are the routes offered

The routes without the /N57 route correctly on the browser and all the others with /N57 show me going via the USA.

To ForeFlight’s credit I received an email from John Collins who is a ForeFlight Consultant within two hours of my ticket being raised saying they would look into it. He also said he had seen this thread as well on EuroGA.

Lydd

PhilG wrote:

To ForeFlight’s credit I received an email from John Collins who is a ForeFlight Consultant within two hours of my ticket being raised saying they would look into it. He also said he had seen this thread as well on EuroGA.

They are very responsive and proactive in updating the software.

EGTK Oxford

ForeFlight got back to me very quickly by email to confirm the web based planner had a bug whereas the IOS version did not. All credit to ForeFlight for the follow up – they do seem from the emails I received they are taking Europe seriously as a market for their software

Lydd
Sign in to add your message