Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Social gathering in western Germany June 29?

With a 2hr flight each way, and limited UK airport opening hours, I would stay overnight, so a dinner somewhere would be the obvious thing. If others are dropping in for lunch only, one could do both

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It started with Pilot DAR visiting the golden temple of EASA in Cologne so something in close distance that is easy to reach was needed.

We can always relocate to Koblenz -- GA aircraft tend to have a lot of empty seats these days!

For me Hangelar would be a day return, hopefully for lunch in company, or maybe perhaps an early dinner; Bremerhaven would be too far, so I can only make it overnight - vastly increasing the risk of weather, so it could only be done under very good forecasts.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I have no preference for location, other than to not work my way farther from Bremerhaven, as I will have to train back on Sunday. I certainly don't expect people to come as far as Bremerhaven, as that would be pointless - I'm coming closer to all of you!

However, it did occur to me that when I'm back in Bremerhaven in September, I might make an invitation for those who would like to visit here, and tour around the turbine DC-3, and AWI's facilities. There might be traction for a group trip to Helgoland if the weather is nice.

But that might be then, this to be is next Saturday. Let me know the destination, and I'll find my way there Friday evening - fresh with EASA on my mind! I should say that the purpose of my visit to EASA is to pave a smooth path for the import of this plane, which I have been working on for the last 3 years...

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I would like to join, but since I am leaving for the Coupe Breitling which will take place 2 days from now unitl Saturday morning in France I just need to get specifics on where to go Saturday (ICAO code), what time to meet :-)

I would prefer to meet for lunch. If there are other plans I could join in as well. However, I would need to know how to meet you guys as I won't have time to read the forum in the next few days until my departure from Villacoublay/Paris to ... Bonn Hangelar? Or Elsewhere?

EDLE, Netherlands

To pick up on what AeroPlus is saying, I'd also suggest to choose a convenient site soon in order to make this happen. There are arguably destinations of a higher touristic value than Bonn Hangelar, but from what I've been reading above, I'd like to think it's an amply convenient spot for everyone. I also think the priority of this is the social aspect of getting people together, so I'm voting to fix EDKB as the venue. I'm also in for lunch.

I'm not overly familiar with the specific area, but I've done a quick google search and it seems to me the most interesting restaurant close by (apart from the obvious Chinese, Greek, and Italian eateries) is "Traubenwirt" (http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/freizeit/restaurants/suche/?lokid=807), which is in a historical building and serves mostly local food with good online reviews. I could arrange a table if that makes sense.

It's unrealistic that I will have my license and find an airplane to charter for Saturday, so I'll be traveling on the ground from the Düsseldorf area. If I'm taking the car, I have a spare seat to offer for anyone coming from the same direction. For example, I could stop by Mönchengladbach and head towards Bonn from there.

On the other hand, if anyone is flying in a north eastern or north western direction after the gathering and legally in a position to do this, I might be blunt enough to ask for a drop-off in either of those directions (for example, EDLV Niederrhein, EDLG Goch in the north east or EDLP Paderborn in the north west). Don't care so much for the drop-off itself but wouldn't mind some airtime while waiting for my own license. ;-)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

There is a good place to eat and meet right at the airport Bonn-Hangelar. Bonn-Hangelar is a GA friendly airfield. OK. It is VFR only, but with Kohln-Bonn right next to it, you only have to cancel IFR nearby. I am not familiar with the practice of canceling IFR after a cloud-break here, but I have been flying out of it regularly and into it as well and it is quite nice and busy with GA people.

Many Germans meet on the airport and the small restaurant is not great but the social side of it is what interests me more than the touristic part.

EDLE, Netherlands

I don't know if it works for me, I have a student 'till about 13:00 on Satureday in EDXE. Depends a bit on the times and dates of the gathering. If I fly, I could stop in EDLE, though. But I won't stay the night in BN, since I have to be back in EDXE SS the latest.

VFR Only, though. And the long term weather report doesn't seem too optimistic for satureday. (But then again, one lie doen't make a meteorogician.)

Depending on DARs travel plans, EDLP could be a compromise: Nice, quite cheap VFR and IFR airfield with customs, a good restaurand and an oldtimer hangar (www.quax-flieger.de)

Cheers, MH

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

For lunch I may join in.

@Aeroplus.. from Ehrd it is much better to do vfr. I once did IFR but they really route you the long way via Arnhem.

Commander. I would like to join but would be flying in from Villacoublay (Paris airforce base) as the finish of the Coupe Breitling is there the evening before. See www.cent24.fr

So, instead of flying home I could fly to Bonn-Hangelar, weather permitting. As I am in the race the coming days, I just need to know where we all are meeting up, so I can be there.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message