Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving G-reg to EASA-reg (and flying G-reg on EASA papers post-brexit)

For a Brit friend here we tried to get his classic G reg onto the F register. We were originally given the impression that it would be easy, because we all thought it would be açcepted on the Annex1 register. However, when he sent us the paperwork we discovered it was on a CDN, which I believe is EASA Annexe 2 so we could not get it on the CDNR as an orphelin.
The DGAC agreed it was possible but it was a very onerous admin exercise. The suggestion made was that we should go to a Part 145 facility and get thembto do it. We haven’t done that as of yet and a different DSAC office might give different advice.

France

gallois wrote:

We were originally given the impression that it would be easy, because we all thought it would be açcepted on the Annex1 register. However, when he sent us the paperwork we discovered it was on a CDN, which I believe is EASA Annexe 2 so we could not get it on the CDNR as an orphelin.
The DGAC agreed it was possible but it was a very onerous admin exercise. The suggestion made was that we should go to a Part 145 facility and get thembto do it. We haven’t done that as of yet and a different DSAC office might give different advice.

Thanks Gallois, I’m afraid I have no idea what Annex1 or 2 means and what a part 145 facility is ;-) What would be considered a classic in aviation? My Comanche is 1972 and doesn’t need to be on a French register per se as long as it is EU/EASA I guess.
Do I understand correctly a CDN is a certificate de navigability – does that differ from the airworthiness certificate?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Your aircraft is EASA aircraft, it will fall under DGAC CoFA (CDN) not CNSK/CNDR in France for non-EASA types (RSA, Annex1/2)

• If you are after day VFR only, I would say the move to F-reg is easy like a walk in the park
  • If you are after Night or IFR, you will have a tough time with OSAC in France, similar to LBA they are not aware of existence of IFR a-la NCO? while they can’t do much on existing F-reg they tend to make F-reg transfers very painful

A friend of mine moved his G-reg to OE-reg of his IFR M20F, he does his maintenance with CAMO in France and was very happy with Austro, I need to check if he did it before Brexit or not?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jul 17:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

A friend of mine moved from G-reg to OE-reg of an IFR M20F, he does his maintenance with CAMO in France and very happy with Austro, I need to check if he did it before Brexit or not?

That would be amazing – and yes EASA not an issue for maintenance if on another EASA reg, I did discuss with my mechanic if it was possible for him to get approval to continue working on EASA aircraft (he has looked after the airplane for the past 20 years) but it will be a massive pain in the neck. I was going to move to an EASA reg pre Brexit but fell for the whole, it won’t be that bad narrative from my partner in the plane. To be fair to the Brits, they did extend the privileges for another 2 years whereas EASA was categorical on not allowing UK licenses on EASA planes. The other option is to sell the plane and to finally get that twin ;-)

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

I’m afraid I have no idea what Annex1 or 2 means and what a part 145 facility is ;-)

“Annex 1” and “Annex 2” are annexes to the EASA Basic Regulation which states the criteria for aircraft to be regulated by individual countries rather than by EASA. In the original (2009) Basic Regulation, it was Annex 2. In the current (2019) Basic Regulation, it is Annex 1. Thus nationally regulated aircraft are colloquially referred to as “Annex 1” aircraft in constrast to “EASA aircraft”.

A part 145 facility is a maintenance organisation regulated according to part-145 of EU regulation 1321/2014 (the “Continuing Airworthiness” regulation).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The DGAC agreed it was possible but it was a very onerous admin exercise. The suggestion made was that we should go to a Part 145 facility and get thembto do it.

That makes no sense; an EASA 145 company has no involvement in Euro-reg private SEP stuff.

I don’t really want to be getting UK papers if I’m honest. (wouldn’t want the UK to hold any of my data etc…)

If that is your only concern with the UK, I think you will find your data is already everywhere, especially with the CV19 data collection stuff.

There is always a vulnerability with a registry transfer, too. The importing CAA might find something…

Do we know if there will be a further extension of the privileges to fly on an EASA license in a G-reg plane already, and if not do we think there will be?

I’ve not heard of anything. As I see it, the UK is playing reciprocal political hardball with Brussels. They did the unilateral 2 year acceptance, obviously hoping Brussels would reciprocate, but didn’t get anything back for it, so they thought “sod it”. There are rumours going around in the airline business but nothing concrete.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have never found OSAC to be a problem. They have always been very helpful to us, especially when changing reg from F_W to F_P..
You could always give your local OSAC a ring and have a chat.
If you do I would be interested to know how you get on as each DSAC and OSAC might have different levels of helpfulness.
The classic aircraft wr were hoping to register on CDNR F_P is a Luscombe Silvaire . Lovely machine,it would be very sad if my friend has to sell it.

France

Please read what I wrote, for “IFR & Night certification” that is where the action sits for VFR only (Silvaire &Co or F-P regs), the ones managing these are top lovely bunch…

PS: you can can transfer with “VFR placards” all over aircraft, get your CoFA issued without digging into the now/then here/there approved manuals & installations details (STC mainly), once it’s on F-reg you remove all the tags yourself and file IFR if you are satisfied, it’s 100% legal as there is no such thing as “responsable de navigabilité IFR” under NCO

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jul 19:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Many thanks for clarifying Airborne!

That makes no sense; an EASA 145 company has no involvement in Euro-reg private SEP stuff.

Huh? Very many maintenance shops of „Euro-reg private SEP stuff“ are Part 145 organizations.

In the context of a G to EASA transfer (which is a third country import) the recommendation to have a Part 145 shop do this could stem from the necessity of obtaining an „import ARC“, which a 145 shop can perform.

Third country imports are nothing unusual and done everyday, and Part ML / NCO possibilities of running engine, prop etc.. on condition made it much easier as well.
If, however, the aircraft in question has some hidden gremlins there’s also the risk that they will be discovered during an import causing an array of issues.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message